These Are the Best Cities for Being a Single Lady
At least once a month, my single best friend and I have a discussion about the LOM in our lives. LOM is our acronym for "lack of men," and when we’re chatting about how we still can’t seem to meet anyone, we always contemplate moving. “There are tons of nice guys in the Midwest,” I said last week. “Perhaps we should move to Chicago? I’m sure we can find some divorced men who are looking for a second chance at love.” I said divorced, because we are both in our early 30s, and once you become of a certain age, divorce is a real part of many people’s pasts. Naturally, when I came across a Marie Claire article declaring the best cities for single girls, I eagerly clicked. The magazine's team crunched the numbers on critical stats (like the ratio of men to women) to find five great places to be single. Did your city make the cut? Check out Marie Claire’s list of the best cities for single ladies below.
- Austin, Texas. Austin is the fastest-growing city in the U.S., with the most live-music venues per capita. Apparently, it’s crawling with men.
- Denver. Outdoor enthusiasts will find plenty of men in the land of skiing, climbing, biking, and hiking. From 2008 to 2010, Denver gained the most 25- to 34-year-olds of any large metro area in the U.S. Sounds like it’s a great place for young people.
- Omaha, Nebraska. There’s a thriving tech scene in Omaha, and that’s drawing a lot of men to the area known as Silicon Prairie.
- Minneapolis. The fittest city in America has a growing biomedical industry and is home to the headquarters of Target and Aveda. The Midwestern town supposedly has a friendlier dating culture than large coastal cities.
- San Francisco. I was surprised to see my city on this list. However, Marie Claire points out the common conundrum plagued by SF woman: “Meeting men is a cinch; finding a commitment, less so.” While there are more men then women, I can’t help but wonder how the gay population affects the stats.
Strut the streets of your city in style with a perfect pout of red lipstick and you’re sure to turn heads.
Are you single? Have you ever considered moving to find more men?