Start Your Morning With This Hydrating Chia Seed Pudding
The nutritional qualities of a "superfood" like chia seeds make it a great way to begin the morning. Chia is a superfood originated from South America, dating back to pre-Colombian times. Here are five reasons why this chia pudding recipe, excerpted from my Raw Food Beginner's Deck, is a great choice for a snack or your go-to morning meal:
- Chia is hydrating for the body because it retains large amounts of water—about 10 times their weight! Water is absorbed by the seeds which then holds it in our system longer.
- Chia slows down how fast our bodies convert carbohydrate calories into simple sugars. Who doesn't love that?!
- It's packed with essential fatty acids (Omega 3 and 6).
- It is easy digestible so it won't slow you down throughout your day.
- Chia is a very good source of protein, fiber, magnesium calcium, and much more!
Find my recipe below, and enjoy!
Chia Pudding with Fruits
1/4 cup chia seeds
2 cups of your favorite nut or seed milk (my favorite is coconut milk!)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Toppings: nuts, fresh berries or other fruits, dried fruits, dessicated coconut
Stir chia seeds and milk in a bowl or combine in a jar and shake. Let sit for 15 to 30 minutes. Just before serving, top with fresh fruit or other toppings.
Want to see more recipes like this? Pick up a copy of French raw food chef and health coach Emilie McBride's Raw Food Beginner's Deck.
Have you ever made chia seed pudding? What are your favorite toppings? Share below!