China Abolishes One Child Policy + New Desk Lets You Work Lying Down
• China is finally ending its controversial one-child policy. A statement from the Communist Party said couples will now be allowed to have two children. The policy was first introduced in 1979 to slow down population growth, but concerns over a growing, aging population prompted the change. About 30% of China's 1.36 billion population is older than 50. — BBC
• Sweden now recycles or reuses 99% of its waste. So where does it go? Well, the 1% left (an average of 461 kilograms per year) ends up in landfill, but the two million tons of “recycling alternatives” are incinerated in the Waste-to-Energy program. Every three tons of burnt trash contains as much energy as one ton of fuel oil, which means "950,000 Swedish households are heated by the energy produced by the system, and 260,000 households are powered by it." — Inhabitat
• A new desk bed lets people work lying down. We know that sitting for long periods is bad for our health, and treadmills or standing desks aren't always a viable or affordable option. The new Altwork Station looks like a futuristic dentist's chair, and everything is adjustable. The desk surface can be bent into various positions, and you can choose to stand and type, sit and type, or lie down on your back and type. — Money
• Don't forget to turn your clocks back this weekend. Daylight Saving Time ends on Sunday, November 1, but thanks to modern technology, most of us won't have to do a thing. So get ready to welcome daylight a little earlier each morning when the clocks move forward... and darker afternoons as the sun begins to set earlier. — FOX
• Celebrity skateboarding and surfing bulldog Tillman has died of heart problems. The English bulldog held the Guinness World Record for "fastest 100 meters on a skateboard by a dog" and became famous around the world when a video of the bulldog skateboarding along the beach went viral. Owner Ron Davis announced Tillman’s passing on Facebook with a heartfelt tribute. "We shared so many memories skating, surfing, and hanging out together. No words can truly describe how much he’ll be missed. Thanks for all the good times, Tilly." — CBS
• To shop today: Don't miss these bright bohemian finds.
Opening Photo: Besotted Grace