Micro Makeover: Everything You Need for an Entryway Reboot
What is the first thing you want to see when you walk through the door: Is it your favorite art collection, a killer patterned tile, or a storage system to rival Martha Stewart’s? Now that you’ve revamped your front door (and nailed that first impression), think about how your entryway as an opportunity to showcase your favorite objects—and your personality. How can you carry your killer style from outside of your home and into your foyer? Not sure where to start? We came up with five great looks to get you started.
You live for sunshine and sand, and you love bringing the outdoors into your décor. Your home is always bright and full of natural light, and your décor tendencies lean toward organic tones and shapes. You try sourcing eco-friendly products when possible—reclaimed wood is your favorite—and you love scouring flea markets for vintage pottery and artwork on weekends. You house might not be immaculate, but it always has a personable and welcoming vibe.
- Wisteria Wooden Parat ($49)
- NDI Palm Tree ($425)
- Dash & Albert Annabelle Wheat Rug ($77)
- Terrain Reclaimed Teak Garden Stool ($148)
- West Elm Reclaimed Pine Floating Shelf ($99)
- Terrain Bottleneck Vase ($28)
You swear you should have been born in Paris. You have a penchant for the luxe life, but never in an ostentatious way. In fact, understated is what you strive for. You prefer quality over quantity—and you know the value of a good vintage piece when you see one. You know all too well that one person’s trash is another’s treasure, and your discerning eye can spot a valuable antique in a pile of junk from miles away. You can effortlessly throw a room together because you know that as long as you truly love every single piece, your personality will shine through your décor.
- West Elm Chulucanas Floor Vases ($70)
- Schoolhouse Electric A-Frame Storage Rack ($184)
- Getty Images “Lennon and Ono, War Is Over” ($225)
- Eero Saarinen Tulip Style Side Table ($175)
- France & Søn Fauteuil Direction Armchair ($250)
- One Kings Lane Turkish Oushak Ivory Rug ($269)
Your ideal home is set in a glass greenhouse, and the more plants you have, the merrier you are. You like your décor fresh and unique, but most importantly it has to be timeless. That’s why you are an expert at mixing periods and styles. You can expertly blend geometric tiles (with an antique mirror), and you’re not afraid of eye-catching art. The secret to your eclectic tendencies? Ensuring that the color scheme is repeated and coherent.
- NDI Ivy Wall Sconce ($165)
- Lambert & Fils Dot Suspension Light ($335)
- Wisteria Ivory Baroque Mirror ($231)
- Cement Tile Shop Propeller II Tile ($6)
- West Elm Papier Mache Console ($299)
- Rob Delamater “Standing Stone I” ($325)
If given the choice, you would pick a comfortable home in the countryside over a city apartment any day. You have a big messy family and you love it. You know that at any given time, the kids or the dog could walk in with their feet covered in mud, but you wouldn’t want it any other way. You like keeping everyone in the family in check—and your organizational system is down to a science. You don’t mind a bit of rustic charm, but at the end of the day, your décor should be functional first.
- Schoolhouse Electric Log Carrier ($48)
- Rejuvenation Fern Green Double Hook ($25)
- West Elm Wire Mesh Storage ($24)
- Pottery Barn Caden Leather Stool ($299)
- Schoolhouse Electric Rugged Rope Mat ($68)
- West Elm Trough Chandelier ($379)
Sleek and sophisticated is your motto, and you never miss a chance to dazzle your guests. You have an artistic eye—in fact, Art Basel and gallery openings hold no secrets for you. You collect books on architecture and art, and love when things are beautifully displayed. Despite your collector tendencies, you’re a bit of a minimalist at heart. You like keeping your furniture neutral, to let your artwork shine.
- West Elm Cement Floor Hurricanes ($69)
- Peter Gossel Modern Architecture A-Z ($110)
- Julie Hansen “Graphite Meeting” ($200)
- Wisteria Marble Cross Sculpture ($41)
- House of Troy Contemporary Nickel Picture Light ($76)
- West Elm Adam Court Console ($499)