The One Ritual That Provides Instant Calm for the Nervous Flyer
While we all have a severe case of wanderlust here at MyDomaine HQ (our bucket list is never-ending), there's one part of the trip we don't enjoy as much as the destination: the flight. Just the idea of being sardined between strangers for sometimes hours on end (and often with little leg room) dials down our inner fun meter. No one really enjoys being confined to a small space that they can't leave (and have no control over), right?
For many, being on a plane conjures up a sense of fear and anxiety that hinders our ability to travel and see the world by air (which is why we always opt for the window seat). If this sounds like you, read on because we found a simple—and natural—remedy that can be performed anywhere (even mid-air) and only takes a few minutes. The ritual was designed by Kristin Petrovich, co-founder of luxe skincare line Själ and author of the new book Elemental Energy, and involves the humble hematite crystal. Intrigued? Read on to see how it's done.
"I'm anxious when I fly these days—who isn't?" says Petrovich. "To reduce anxiety, I rely on a simple hematite-based grounding exercise that you can do prior to takeoff or midflight to help calm nerves." Here's how it works:
- Take off your shoes so you can feel your feet on the floor.
- Hold the hematite in the palm of your nondominant hand. Observe the texture of the stone and its weight. Keep the stone in your closed palm, and concentrate on its energy.
- Close your eyes and think of something calming or soothing. Allow the stone to ground your emotions. Be present in your body and aware of how firmly your feet are on the floor.
- Now visualize any anxiousness leaving your body. Breathe out the energy with each exhale.
- Open your palm and allow the hematite to absorb any unwanted energy from your mind. Imagine the stone taking in any anxiety and sealing it away.
- Take two or three deep, cleansing breaths and open your eyes. Tuck the hematite away in a pocket or carry-on.
Ready to give it a try? Shop the hematite stone below and take it with you on your next flight.
How do you calm your nerves before a flight? Are there any rituals or remedies that work for you? Let us know below!