How to Make French Aioli
We're excited to share an exclusive video from our new favorite cooking video site, Salted. Aioli is a classic Provençal sauce made of garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, egg yolks, and seasonings—very much akin to mayonnaise. You can use it to add flavor to everything from asparagus or broccoli to burgers and French fries, and knowing how to make it is truly an essential skill for any home cook. Watch the video above to learn and see step-by-step instructions below.
1. Have two small bowls ready for separating the eggs. Crack the egg on a flat surface and, over one of the bowls, empty the egg contents into one hand. Allow the egg white and any membranes to drip down into the bowl, leaving just the egg yolk in your hand. Place the yolk in the other bowl. Repeat with the remaining five eggs. (00:06)
2. Place the egg yolks and garlic cloves into a food processor. turn on the processor and allow to run for a minute until the egg yolk and garlic mixture begin to aerate and thicken. (01:17)
3. While the mixture blends, slowly drizzle small amounts of oil at a time into the food processor. As more oil is added, the egg mixture should begin to emulsify and thicken. Once the mixture has reached a custard-like consistency, drizzle the remaining oil straight in without stopping. (01:46)
4. Once the mixture resembles a custardy, yellow mayonnaise, turn off the processor. Add the kosher salt and pulse. (02:23)
5. Roll the lemon under the broad blade of a knife or under the heel of your hand to loosen up the juices. Slice the lemon in half and squeeze both halves into the food processor (but over your hand to catch any seeds). Pulse until incorporated. Leave plain or add any extra additions to flavor. (02:53)
Want to see more videos like this? Sign up for a free one-month trial of Salted—and don't be surprised if you get hooked.
What other classic French recipes do you love? Tell us in the comments below!