December 1, 2015Everyday
Google Offers Virtual Visits at Famous Concert Venues + Tech Billionaires Team Up for Climate Change
- Now you can take a seat at the world’s most famous concert venues thanks to Google. The Internet search giant launched an online collaboration with more than 60 performing arts organizations around the globe as part of its Google Cultural Initiative. Visitors can now use the Street View tool to “virtually roam the aisles or go backstage at Carnegie Hall and other venues, such as the Teatro Dell’Opera di Roma and Madrid’s Teatro Real.” — The Wall Street Journal
- Tech billionaires have teamed up to fight climate change. The world’s richest man, Bill Gates, is leading the charge with a group of 26 philanthropists to create clean energy solutions. He has vowed to put $2 billion into it through personal investments and a new fund to be set up next year. — Bloomberg
- Singapore plans to transform disused railways into a 15-mile park. The rails-to-rails project will span the entire nation. Japanese firm Nikken Sekkei designed the linear park, which features eight “activity nodes,” including active event spaces such as an outdoor film screening area to quiet rainforest viewing platforms and nature boardwalks. — Inhabitat
- “The Bride” is set to be the world's tallest building. The new tower will be built in Iraq’s Basra Province, feature four conjoined towers with 604 stories, and span 16.6 million square feet. Architects are calling the new building the world’s first “vertical city.” — Business Insider
- If slow Internet is getting you down, say hello to the new Li-Fi. The breakthrough technology promises to be 100 times faster than Wi-Fi. So what does that even mean in terms of download? Researchers at the University of Oxford achieved speeds of 224 gpbs, which means you could download 18 feature-length films in a single second. The technology is still in development, and there are some downsides, including the fact it doesn’t work outdoors or when light pollution is present. — Inc.
- To shop today: Don’t miss 10 stylish games for a cozy night in.