3 Healthy Comfort Food Recipes Pinterest Users Are Obsessed With
Thanks to the health food movement and innovative food bloggers, the words "healthy" and "comfort food" now exist in the same sentence. So much so that Pinterest is nearly bursting at the seams with hearty, superfood-packed comfort food recipes that are perfect for the holiday season.
The following three pins from Love and Lemons, Cafe Delites, and Julia's Album stood out in particular, both in terms of their sheer circulation as well as their mouthwatering imagery. Whip up one or all three of these recipes, and enjoy all the comfort without the calories this holiday season.
Vegan butternut squash–stuffed shells
- Cubed butternut squash
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Jumbo shells
- Fresh baby spinach
- Crumbled tofu
- Dried oregano
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Toss the butternut squash with a drizzle of olive oil and a few pinches of salt and pepper. Roast until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
For the full recipe, head over to Love and Lemons.
Twice-baked chicken fajita sweet potatoes
- Sweet potatoes, washed and scrubbed
- Olive oil
- Red onion, thinly sliced
- Cooked chicken breast, sliced into 1-inch strips
- Garlic cloves, minced
- Yellow, green, and red bell peppers, sliced
- Black beans, washed and rinsed
- Ground cumin
- Sweet (or smoked) paprika
- Shredded Mexican cheese
- Lime, juiced
- Cilantro leaves
- Avocado and salsa to serve
- Preheat oven to 430°F. Spray a baking tray/sheet with nonstick spray, and arrange sweet potatoes the tray. Roast for one hour in the oven, or until soft (check them after 40 minutes, and continue roasting if needed).
- While the sweet potatoes are cooking, add a small amount of oil to the pan; add the onions to a skillet/frying pan over medium-high heat. Once transparent (about 1 to 2 minutes), add the chicken, garlic, and peppers. Cook until the garlic is fragrant. Add in the seasonings and continue cooking until chicken is completely coated in the seasonings. Mix the beans through; take off heat and set aside.
For the full recipe, head over to Cafe Delites.
Butternut squash and spinach lasagna
- Butternut squash puree
- Ricotta cheese
- Cooked spinach
- Garlic cloves
- Gluten-free lasagna noodles
- Mozzarella cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper
- Prepare a baking dish. Grease the lasagna dish lightly with olive oil spray. Spread 1/3 of butternut squash filling on the bottom of the dish. Sprinkle lightly with mozzarella cheese. Top with cooked lasagna noodles without overlapping.
- Spread half of spinach filling over the noodles. Top lightly with Mozzarella cheese. Top with cooked noodles.
For the full recipe, head over to Julia's Album.