7 Foods a Hormone Expert Eats Every Day
Hormones control major bodily functions spanning the physical to the emotional, making them some of the most powerful chemicals in your entire being. Needless to say, a hormonal imbalance of any kind does not go unnoticed—sufferers can experience constant hunger, acne, sleep disorders, and more. But as Sara Gottfried, a Harvard-trained MD, hormone expert, and best-selling author points out, food plays an essential role in regulating hormone health.
"In my practice, I help women balance their hormones naturally—starting with their fork," writes Gottfried for Mindbodygreen. "I have a 'food first' philosophy and passionately believe that food is the small hinge that swings the biggest doors when it comes to your health." While diets vary based on each person's needs, this is what she eats to keep her own hormones, stress levels, and weight in check.
- Gluten-free steel-cut oats with freshly ground flax, organic cinnamon, sea salt, and raspberries or other in-season fruit
- Pastured eggs, either poached or cooked over easy in coconut oil
- Steelhead trout
- Mixed fermented vegetables, including red cabbage, beets, carrots, red onion, fennel, and garlic
- Thick-sliced carrots
- Pastured chicken
- Cauliflower rice
- Fermented vegetables, including carrots, red beets, daikon, turnip, rutabaga, yellow onion, ginger, and orange zest
- An arugula salad with chopped pea greens, rainbow carrots, sliced hearts of palm, and sliced black radish with arugula pesto as a dressing
Head over to Mindbodygreen for the details of Dr. Gottfried's plan, and share your take on hormone health below.