November 11, 2015Everyday
Another Study Shows Link Between Meat and Cancer + Facebook Launches Real-Time News App
- A new study has revealed all meat is tied to kidney cancer. After the World Health Organization announced two weeks ago that processed meat like bacon and some red meat causes bowel cancer, another study from the University of Texas, published in the journal Cancer, found eating meat carries a higher risk of kidney cancer. — NBC News
- Microsoft's new tool can guess how you're feeling from photos. The Emotion API program can determine how you’re feeling based on your facial expression. Just like its previous tool that tried to guess your age from looking at a single photograph, this is just a bit of fun, but it's a sign we're not that far off from having our tech understand our feelings. — The Next Web
- Leonardo DiCaprio just invested in a startup that claims it can grow real diamonds in two weeks. Santa Clara startup Diamond Foundry was created by Martin Roscheisen, who wanted to grow "real" diamonds in a lab. These are unlike synthetic diamonds because they are "hatched from a sliver of a natural, mined diamond as the substrate." — Business Insider
- Facebook has launched a new app that lets you access news in real time. The Notify app is set to take on Twitter with up-to-the-minute news as it happens, direct to your phone, without having to access the article in the feed. You also have control over what you want to see, and can sign up for specific notifications. — Facebook Newsroom
- A Chinese art collector may have charged a $170.4 million painting to his credit card. Billionaire Liu Yiqian paid the hefty sum (one of the highest prices ever paid at an auction) for Amedeo Modigliani’s “Nu Couche.” If he did so using his American Express Centurion card, like he did for a $36.3 million purchase last year, he would receive one point (worth about a cent) per dollar, earning him a whopping $1.7 million in rewards. — Market Watch
- To shop today: Don't miss 25 holiday gifts every jet-setter will love.