This 20-Minute Workout Will Actually Boost Your Metabolism
Let's be honest: We don't have all the time in the world to devote to working out. We're lucky if we squeeze in a 30-minute workout before or after work. So when we heard about this six-move workout from Nutrition Stripped that doubles as a metabolism boost, we were all ears.
Created by training expert Hannah Davis, the below workout is "a great way to get a quick burst of energy and metabolic boost," she explains. "HIIT is super trendy, but most people fail to do it right. The goal is to put in your very best effort at maximum intensity for a short amount of time (because that’s all you can sustain the good work for!) and follow it with enough rest to be able to complete the next interval at a comparable effort."
First, some ground rules: Perform each exercise for 30 seconds, and then rest for 30 seconds. Cycle through all six exercises three to five times, depending on available time and fitness level. Here are the six moves:
#1 Battle Bounds
- Bound, or jump forward one big leap.
- Thrust back into a plank for one push-up, jump feet back in toward hands and stand (aka, do a burpee).
- Drive knees up high as you travel backward to the starting position.
#2 Skater Burpee
- Jump to your right, laterally, landing on only your right foot.
- Keeping the left foot off the ground, jump back into a three-point plank position.
- Then jump back in toward your chest with the same right leg.
- Repeat the move, but jumping to the left this time. Go slow at first until you get the hang of it, and then try to get faster.
#3 Half-Squat Get Up
- Start on both knees.
- Lift the right leg forward in a lunge position and then bring your left foot up next to your right. Stay low.
- Try not to stand all the way up. Instead, stay in as low of a squat position as you can.
#4 Suspended Bird Dog
- Start in an all four “bear crawl” position.
- Knees are just slightly off the ground.
- As you reach forward with the right arm, extend the left leg out behind you.
- Repeat on the other side.
#5 Three-Point Jump Squat
- Perform a jump squat landing in a lunge position and immediately jump back up to reverse the legs in the air and land with the other leg forward.
- Immediately perform another lunge jump landing in center squat position.
#6 Glute Bridge and Pike
- Lie back and place your right heel on the ground and extend the left leg up in the air.
- Perform a single sided glute bridge with the right leg and each time you lower the hip back down to the ground, lift your shoulders off the ground and reach up to your left toe.