Micro Makeover: 3 Stunning Ways to Update Your Nightstand
Tell me what’s on your nightstand, and I will tell you who you are. Is it covered with a pile of novels? Does it hide a stash of sleeping pills? Is every inch covered with framed photos of loved ones? Is it always adorned with fresh flowers or a lit candle? There’s something deeply personal about a nightstand—it speaks volumes about our nighttime and morning routines, about what we need to comfort us at night, and about what we hold dear. The nightstand is also a great place to start to declutter our lives—after all, it is the first thing we look at in the morning and the last thing we see at night. When it comes to bedside tables, we like to keep it simple: a bud vase, a candle, a water carafe, a book. Whatever your aesthetic inclinations, give your nightstand a budget overhaul this weekend. Here are a few ideas to get you started.
You have a girly side, and you’re not afraid to hide it. Blush pink is your go-to, and you practically jumped for joy when Pantone announced its color of the year. We recommend keeping the lines of your décor simple to avoid your feminine penchant erring on the side of frilly. Look for accessories with warm copper tones, and iridescent surfaces like seashells. A pink-toned stained mirror will also cast a romantic glow in your boudoir.
- Hawkins Confetti Glassware Highball ($16)
- CB2 Oracle Table Lamp ($119)
- West Elm Colorblocked Mirror ($77)
- Anthropologie Sea Calling Trinket Dish ($28)
- Blu Dot Scamp Medium Table ($199)
- Le Labo Classic Candle Santal 26 ($75)
You’re of the philosophy that décor should be collected over time, and that a home should reflect who you are. Like Nate Berkus, you firmly believe that every object in your home should have meaning—whether it’s a travel souvenir, or a piece that tells a story. If this sounds like you, you are a collector. Keep your bedside table simple to let your objects shine. Soften your lighting with a sconce that has a linen shade, and finish off with your favorite objects.
- West Elm Vitreluxe Glass Vases ($39)
- West Elm Metalwork Nightstand ($249)
- Coqui Coqui Beeswax Candle ($65)
- Arne Jacobsen City Hall Alarm Clock ($125)
- Rejuvenation Midcentury Wooden Sconce ($159)
- Cire Trudon Abd El Kader Scented Long Matches ($15)
Minimal is your motto. You avoid color like the plague, and you only purchase decorative items that are also useful. Your home is strictly edited, and you have no qualms about trashing things that are no longer of use. For your nightstand, we recommend a simple floating shelf, a bare-bulb pendant, and beautifully designed essentials: a clock, water carafe, and simple bud vase. If you’re the type to style your books with bindings facing inward, consider these coverless books from Juniper.
- Juniper Books Coverless Book Bundle ($35)
- CB2 Utility Graphite Pendant Light ($40)
- Serax Night Bottle ($25)
- CB2 Around The Block Table Clock ($30)
- SAIC Tork Large Shelf ($129)
- Good Thing Gather Vase ($20)