7 Ways to Make Your Online Dating Profile More Attractive
When a Dallas-based doctor Sameer Chaudhry began online dating, he couldn’t help but wonder why he wasn’t finding love, so he started investigating likability and attraction. After four years of scientific studies, his research was published in The British Medical Journal and highlighted in a recent WFAA story. He used himself as the first case study, changed his profile to follow the guidelines he established, and ultimately found love. As I am currently failing miserably at online dating, I was curious to learn what his research recommends. According to Chaudhry, these are the things that can make your online dating profile more appealing.
- For your first photo, wear the color red—it increases attraction in the opposite sex.
- Make sure you have a genuine smile in at least one of your pictures.
- Include a picture of yourself at the actual center of a group of people having fun. “It conveys higher status and friendliness,” explains Chaudhry.
- Choose a screen name with letters from the first half of the alphabet. Chaudhry believes that “we're subconsciously alphabetizing and drawn to the top letters.”
- Men are attracted to physical attributes, so screen names that imply your hair color or body type are good.
- When writing your bio, be witty, but not overly so. You don’t want to look like you’re trying too hard.
- Be truthful when listing your interests, but play to the gender you’re trying to attract. “Men prefer physical attributes, such as yoga, going to the gym," Chaudhry said. "Women are more attracted to bravery, courage, and a willingness to take risks."
To learn more about having an approachable online dating profile, read Love at First Click.
Have you had success in online dating?