8 Ways to Liven Up Your Home in 2016
It’s a new year, and we’re eager to spruce things up at home. However, sometimes we need a fresh perspective to truly shake things up. So we called in the experts: interior designer Cortney Novogratz and her two design-savvy daughters, Bellamy and Tallulah, who you may know from Bravo’s 9 by Design and HGTV’s Home by Novogratz. Below, they’re sharing eight ways to liven up any room in the house.
- Brighten up with fabric. “During this time of year, things can be gloomy, so bring in really cheerful throw pillows. What’s great is that even luxurious, cozy fabrics like wool and velvet come in bright, cheerful fabrics. Tallulah recently picked a beautiful velvet for her headboard in her favorite color: kelly green.”
- Bring in the glam with metallics. “A lot of people don’t realize that metallics are also colors. Bring in metallics through candles or trays to make a room sexier and make you feel glamorous.”
- Expand your art collection. “A new year is a good time to invest in art, whether it’s a limited-edition print, a photograph, or a painting. Good art is always a smart investment, so treat yourself.”
- Spruce up your entryway. “A home’s entry can become tired. Investing in a new foyer rug, doormat, or a new mirror in your entryway makes that greeting fresh again. You’ll be surprised at how wonderful it makes you feel.”
- Dress your walls. “Add a fresh coat of paint or splurge on wallpaper you’ve been eyeing. Whether it’s the whole room, a statement wall, or the ceiling, a bold color of paint showcases your personality.”
- Add femininity with mirrors. “Hunt for a mirrored piece of furniture. If you choose wisely, it adds just the right amount of feminine touch to any room. Bellamy’s looking for cool mirrored end tables for next to her bed. What’s great about these pieces is that they’re available at all different price points. If it’s vintage, even better—old things add soul to a house.”
- Commit to your entertaining game. “Invest in the way you entertain, whether it’s a fantastic bar cart, a tray for your liquor, new wineglasses, or a new cheese board. Pushing yourself to entertain and open up your home to the people you care about most is one of the most rewarding things you can do for yourself in the New Year.”
- Make a new bed. “Freshen up your bedding. We spend so much time in our beds but somehow forget to get new bedding every once in a while. You don’t have to buy an entirely new bed, but it may be time to mix up the pillows, the duvet, or the sheets. Go for a soft pattern—you won’t regret it.”
Shop a few designs by the Novogratz family below.
What are your plans to freshen up your home this year? Are you making any renovations or purchases?