20 Fabulous Ways to Take Advantage of Leap Day
This year is a leap year and that means we get one more day in the form of February 29. Although it would be much more fun if leap day were on a Friday or Saturday, one can still celebrate despite the fact that it’s on Monday. Since I’m the type of person who loves any reason for a party, I believe that you should do something a little special come Monday. Wondering what I mean? Here are 20 fabulous ways to take advantage of leap day.
- Throw an impromptu dinner party. The secret to doing it in less than two hours? Chinese takeout and fine china.
- Buy a super-cute new dress. Go to Forever 21 and buy something fun that channels spring. Wear it out of the store with booties. Whenever you wear it in the future, refer to it as your leap day dress.
- Treat yourself to a manicure or blowout. Start the week out with a beauty pamper session.
- Grab your friend who is a photographer and stage a leap day shoot. Get your power animal in balloon form, then have your friend snap photos of yourself in front of your city’s major tourist attractions. Need inspiration? Look at this. Not into the balloon idea? Take action shots of yourself leaping for joy in front of the attractions.
- Bake cinnamon rolls and bring them to work as a breakfast surprise for your colleagues. Wish everyone a happy leap day!
- Call someone you haven’t talked to in a really long time. If they don’t answer, leave them a message and say something like, “Hi Elena! It’s Katie. I know it’s been forever since we last talked, but I was just thinking about you. It’s leap day and I wanted to call and say hi!”
- Start planning an affordable spring break adventure.
- Call in sick to work. Don’t check your email or social media feed. Instead, treat yourself to a fancy lunch with a new book. Order champagne and oysters!
- Pull out a cookbook you haven’t used in forever. Find a dish that sounds delicious, and make it for dinner.
- Buy something new and decorative for your house. Purchase a new throw pillow, coffee table book, candle, plant, or crystal, then turn it into a leap day collection. In four years buy another pillow, coffee table book, candle, plant, or crystal. Do this for the rest of your life and you’ll have a cool leap day collection!
- Write your future self a letter. Write down what you hope to happen in the next four years. Set the delivery date for the next leap day.
- Even if you don’t like to cook, sign up for a free trial of Blue Apron. Who wouldn’t want three free meals?!
- Tell everyone you meet some interesting facts about leap years. Here are a few: Did you know that the U.S. presidential election and the Summer Olympics always occur in leap years? In 10,000 years the calendar system will have to be reconsidered. Ja-Rule is a leapling, the term given to people who are born on February 29.
- Take advantage of travel deals for leap day. Book a hotel in a city you’ve never visited before.
- Propose to your boyfriend. Legend has it that leap day is the one acceptable day for a woman to propose marriage to a man. It dates back to the 5th century when an Irish nun, St. Bridget, complained to St. Patrick that women had to wait too long for their suitors to propose. St. Patrick supposedly said women could ask every four years during a leap year.
- Watch the romantic comedy Leap Year. In the movie, Amy Adams and British hottie Matthew Goode travel across Ireland in search of Adams's boyfriend, whom she plans to propose to.
- Eat Tex-Mex. The leap year capital of the world is the city of Anthony, which straddles Texas and New Mexico. Celebrate this town by eating queso, fajitas, and blood orange margaritas!
- Get a puppy. If you’ve decided you're ready to get a rescue dog, do it today.
- Grab your kids and head to the nearest trampoline center. Celebrate leap day by literally leaping. If your kids are little, surprise them with a bouncy house and let them leap around in it.
- Try something new. Take a leap of faith. Do something you’ve never done before. Sign up for that floral arranging or improv class you’ve been wanting to take.
Another idea? Wear a pretty pastel coat. Because leap year!
How are you going to celebrate leap day?