5 Foods That Basically Cancel Out Your Gym Session
While most nutrition experts would agree that the old adage "everything in moderation" is a smart approach to healthy eating, it turns out there's a small selection of foods and drinks that you should all out avoid. Why? Michelle Schoffro, PhD, ROHP, DNM, says they have such a low nutritional value that, put simply, they're just not worth it.
"All of these foods are highly acid forming. They create inflammation in the body, throw off hormonal balance, bog down the body's lymphatic system, and congest the liver, among other things that negate your efforts to restore a healthy weight," she explains in an article for Rodale Wellness. Yes, if you're leading an otherwise healthy lifestyle, indulging in these foods might be canceling out your efforts.
Here, Schoffro ranks the five worst foods to cut back on if you want to improve your health.
- Diet soda: Schoffro dubs this "the winner of the Worst Food of All Time Award," as it contains aspartame, an ingredient linked to cravings, anxiety attacks, chest pain, PMS, and more.
- Regular soda: Soda is extremely acidic, which can be hard on the kidneys because they have to filter it.
- Doughnuts: Most doughnuts are 35 to 40% trans fats, which are linked to obesity and heart disease.
- Hot dogs: We hate to break it to you: Even the 100% beef variety is bad for you. Hot dogs contain sodium nitrite, a carcinogen linked to leukemia.
- Bacon: A Harvard study found that eating bacon each day can increase the risk of heart disease by 42% and diabetes by 19%.
Have you eliminated any of these foods from your diet? Tell us if you noticed a difference.