If there’s something we never get tired of seeing, it’s a great makeover. Whether it’s transforming a retro bathroom into a modern oasis or giving a lackluster bedroom a fresh look, pros perform these design miracles all the time.
To give designers a chance to showcase their favorite makeovers—and to bring you plenty of inspiration for your own home—we’re sharing the best before and afters we’ve seen in our series, Makeover of the Week. Take notes for your next renovation.
“There was an existing small patio with a painted concrete floor off the back of our house, and we love it, but we really wanted a larger outdoor hangout space where we could spread out more and utilize a firepit, no matter what the weather,” Laura Gummerman, a blogger and staff writer at A Beautiful Mess, says. “So we renovated our covered carport into a fun hangout space!”
Meet the Expert
Laura Gummerman is a Nashville-based design blogger who loves to add a touch of pink and whimsy to bright and airy spaces.
“We’re based in Nashville, but wanted this space to have the feeling of a cute home in Palm Springs,” says home blogger Laura Gummerman. “We painted the brick on the house white, along with the breezeblock half-wall, which made the space feel instantly bigger and brighter. Then we had fun and painted all the doors a dusty pink!”
“Utilizing the carport as an outdoor space made sense from a functional standpoint, but this area can get wet when the wind blows and it’s raining so I had to take that into account when picking furniture and rugs, including using a waterproof polyester sectional sofa,” Gummerman notes. “I added a deck box to store cushions and pillows at night, and we have furniture covers for when we go away or when we know it’s going to rain for several days.”
- Color Theme: Pops of pink + white + tropical greenery result in a California cool vibe.
- Fire pit: A fire table with glass rocks provides warmth on cool evenings and a place for friends and family to gather.
- Table and chairs: A dining table with clean, modern lines is paired with pink retro-looking chairs covered in comfy sheepskin seat cushions.
- Fans: Simple, modern fans create a breeze on hot evenings while dimmable, mood-enhancing string lights are set on a timer.
- Lattice wall: The DIY mid-century trellis separates the two outdoor spaces without fully blocking the view.
- Couch: A gray sectional couch is accessorized with solid and striped pink pillows, creating the perfect spot for lounging.
- Plants: Desert tropical plants, like cactus and large banana leaf trees, add a pop of color and help fill out the space.
- Dartboard: A mid-century looking cabinet was created to conceal the dartboard when not in use.
- Rug: Outdoor rugs are made from durable and easy-to-clean woven plastic and jute.
- Hanging chair: The egg-shaped chair is suspended from the ceiling to create additional seating.
Shop the Look: