When I turned 30, like most people, I panicked, I cried, I planned and threw a massive birthday party, and then I made a list. I decided to embrace my 30th year by writing a list of 30 fabulous things that I wanted to experience or achieve over the next 12 months that would make the year fun (rather than make me stress about not having checked all the age-appropriate boxes). While my list included to-dos that were specific to my life—master the art of making caramel, go to the ballet—I’ve put together a more general list to inspire you.
Congrats, you’re 30! Instead of complaining about being another year older, make a list, seize the day, and have some fun. Here are 30 things to do in your 30s.
1. Spend the weekend in an American city you’ve never visited.
2. Read a classic you’ve always wanted to read but never got around to.
3. Fall in love.
4. If you’re single, go out with someone who is scandalously young like a recent college grad.
5. Host a dinner party.
6. Buy a nice piece of furniture.
7. Get rid of your roots. Go natural or close to it.
8. Invest in face and hand creams. Use them often. Your 40-year-old self will thank you.
9. Step up your booze game: Get top shelf. You’ve been drinking charcoal-filtered long enough.
10. Buy one piece of nice jewelry for yourself.
11. Save money. Whether it’s for a new car or to fund your next trip, you’ll be happy you did it.
12. Keep exercising. Keep your routine—you will regret it if you don’t.
13. Buy and use cloth napkins.
14. Say thank you when people compliment you.
15. Start a wine cellar—even if it’s in the back of your hallway closet. Invest in lesser-known bottles when wine tasting, and store them to enjoy at a later date.
16. Drink more water.
17. Make cocktails with fresh-picked citrus—think daiquiris or margaritas with limes, greyhounds with grapefruit, or sidecars with lemons.
18. Print your favorite photos, frame them, and display them elegantly in your home.
19. Get rid of any tired underwear—now matter how comfortable they are. If they have holes in them or if they’re stained, throw them away.
20. Write and send thank you cards.
21. Use proper glasses: flutes or coupes for sparkling wine, pint glasses for beer, etc.
22. Bake a cake from scratch for a friend who is turning 30 too.
23. Take a lesson (golf, pasta making, calligraphy, or whatever).
24. Swim in the ocean.
25. Go on a road trip to visit an old friend.
26. Bring a friend a surprise bouquet of flowers for no reason at all.
27. On a super-sunny day, plan an impromptu picnic in a local park.
28. Try a new hairstyle.
29. Call your parents at least three times a week. They’re getting older too.
30. Wake up every day and remember: You are perfectly fine just the way you are.
Up next: 12 crucial tips for dating in your 30s.
This story was originally published on January 15, 2015, and has since been updated.