Birthdays are like seasons—some are welcomed with open arms, and others may take a little warming up to. But really and truly, you should be doing something fun for every milestone you hit because what better excuse is there to get all of your favourite people in one room and reminisce about the past year (or years) you’ve spent together?
When you were a kid, it was so easy to pick a favourite theme or place to host your party. There was the dance studio party, the circus theme party, the jumping party (does anyone else remember those massive piles of rainbow-coloured plastic balls?). As we got older, the themes tended to dwindle and it became “Meet me at that bar we love!” or “Let’s just all do dinner.” And even if it’s not a particularly special year—aka one of the “big ones”—there’s nothing wrong with sending invitations, breaking out the confetti, and just going all out (like kids do) to celebrate. Taking some cues from the little ones, we’ve rounded up 24 totally awesome adult birthday party ideas to celebrate another year. Scroll through, take your pick, and then get planning!
THE FRIENDS' NIGHT IN
1. Get into board-game bliss. Have everyone come in their pj's and bring their favourite board game from way back when. Dream Phone and Guess Who? are required. And as a throwback, have goody bags for the winners.
2. Host a pampering party. Indulge in DIY facials (or sheet masks), massage trains, and at-home mani/pedis while watching a movie marathon.
3. Have a cake swap. Is it worth getting a year older without the frosting and candles? We think not. Ask each guest to forego gifts and bring their favourite cake—and then taste them all. (Side note: This may be our favourite adult birthday party idea ever.)
4. Cook the night away. If you don't want to ask everyone to bring their own food, create a menu of your favourite homemade meals, and then cook it all together.
THE COCKTAIL PARTY
1. Host a mixology party. Hire a professional mixologist to craft custom drinks for your friends all night long based on their favourite ingredients. It’ll be just like going to your local speakeasy.
2. Opt for a classy affair. We’re talking suits and stilettos, jazz in the background, and plenty of hors d’oeuvres. Do a champagne toast to thank your guests.
3. Have a wine and cheese night. Research the perfect pairings of cheddar, cabernet, and so forth. If you want to go all out, offer wine flights to your guests.
4. Go wine tasting at a local vineyard or plan a weekend getaway to the wine country.
THE DRESS-UP PARTY
1. Play hostess at your favourite store. Some boutiques will actually let you throw your birthday soirée on-site (as long as some guests purchase things, of course). Do you love shoes? Ask to have your fête right in the footwear department.
2. Get dolled up at your place. Tell your friends to wear their favourite party dresses, and then call an at-home beauty concierge service like Vênsette to come do hair and makeup. If you decide to go out, great—if not, who cares? It’s all about getting ready together.
3. Have a jewelry-making party where you craft custom pieces together—and take them home.
4. Dress for high tea, and then head to a local tea café to sip your favourite kind and munch on cookies.
THE THEMED PARTY
1. Throw a Great Gatsby–themed party. Get out those flapper dresses or old-school suits, and learn how to do the Charleston together. Or pick your favourite decade as a theme.
2. Have a margherita and margarita party. Most parties are all about the food, and this one is no exception. Make homemade margherita pizzas together—and blend margaritas (alcoholic or not). The dress code? Something with drawstrings.
3. Plan a murder mystery soirée. Each guest is assigned a character to dress up as ahead of time. Simply download everything you need in advance and you're good to go. Hollywood, the rodeo, and royal mysteries are all theme options!
4. Pick a sport to plan the day around, from attire to baked goods. You could head to the bowling alley, beach volleyball court, rock climb, take a group dance class, or even learn how to trapeze.
THE POOL PARTY
1. Put on a Coachella-themed bash. We’re thinking a flower crown–making station, flash tats, and inflatable floats for days. A killer playlist won’t hurt, either.
2. Throw a barbecue. Beer, burgers, and hot dogs (and some veggie kebobs!). Guests can take a dip whenever they so please, but the food is the star of the show here.
3. Have a luau. This is the time to greet guests with homemade flower leis, craft cocktails in pineapples, and set up your own tiki bar.
4. Plan a mock Olympics tournament. Assign everyone to different countries, and then put fun twists (inside jokes are welcome) on each of the water-based challenges.
THE OUT-OF-THE-BOX PARTY
1. Host a film screening. Rent out a theater at your local cineplex and ask them to play your favourite movie. Hand out popcorn, candy, slushies, etc., as snacks. (PS: You can also do something similar at your own place.)
2. Have a star-gazing party. Ask everyone to meet outside under the stars and pick out their favourite constellations. Guest favours? Name a star after each of your friends.
3. Throw a massive picnic. All you need is a bunch of blankets and your favourite people. Head to the park—ask everyone to pack their own lunch and snacks beforehand. Listen to some tunes and enjoy the sunshine.
4. Treat yourself and your closest friends to a day of self-care experiences. Whether that means getting in touch with your spirituality with a psychic, trying crystal healing, or taking mud baths together is up to you.
Now that you have enough birthday party ideas for the next 10 years' worth of celebrations, it's time to start planning.