We’re planning on logging some major Netflix and chill moments over the holiday. Apple TV hacks make it easy to take your favorite shows, podcasts, and media with you anywhere. If you’re on the move this holiday season, keep scrolling for a how-to guide to stay caught up on all your stories.
Stream From a Friend's Apple TV
Apple TV enables streaming of video, music, and photos from your computer to your TV. This clever hack enables you to stream content anywhere, anytime, on anyone’s device. Previously, Apple TV would only connect with a device sharing the same WiFi network, so if you’re at a friends place you’re out of range. Younity App allows you to take your media with you and stream on any Apple TV on-demand. It’s free and the setup is simple. Here's how:
- Install Younity on each computer you want to access.
- Allow the app to index the content.
- Install the iOS app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Start playing a video in Younity.
- Pull up the Airplay option from the Apple menu at the bottom of your iPhone.
- Select AirPlay and the device you want to access.
- Your video will start streaming.
Download Younity on iTunes.
Access All Your Screens at Once
Another benefit of Younity is gaining access to your full library of content. If you have a library of photos, movies, and content spread across multiple devices, from iPads to desktop computers, installing the app will merge your content. We love this feature for creating a single catalog of music. The easy-to-use interface means you won’t even need to browse by device. You can switch from streaming a playlist on your laptop to your sister's desktop easily without having to reconfigure your settings. Everything in one place is as turnkey as it gets.
Geo-spoof Any Device
Due to restrictive licensing terms, some content will appear as blocked due to “geo-restricting,” a feature that only allows viewers located in specific geographic areas to access service. A Smart DNS service will override this. This is great for when you want to watch content on devices other than your apple TV.
Setting up SmartDNS in OS X:
- Go to System Preferences.
- Select“Network (under Internet & Wireless).
- Select your current network, and then click Advanced.
- Select the DNS”tab.
- Select your existing DNS services and replace with SmartDNS address numbers.
Setting up SmartDNS in iOS 8:
- Go to Settings.
- Select WiFi.
- Select Current Network.
- Select the DNS field and change the DNS Address numbers to those provided by your SmartDNS provider.
- Make a note of your ISP’s default DNS settings before changing in case you need to switch back between services.
- Return to the main menu and perform a power cycle by holding down the power button and home button at the same time until the phone restarts.
Enable Voice Search
Amazon Fire has a voice search function that is pretty tight. You can enable voice feature on Apple TV with the official Remote app for iOS. This clever hack will turn your iPhone or iPad into a remote that enables voice search for anything your heart desires. Here's how:
- Get the free Remote app from the App Store.
- Turn on your Apple TV and Wi-Fi on your iOS device.
- Sign in with your Apple ID.
- On the Remote app, turn on Home Sharing.
- Once the app detects your Apple TV, tap on the icon to connect.
- To search with voice command, simply tap on the Mic icon on the keyboard and speak the title you want to find.
Shop cozy movie-watching essentials below.
What is your favorite holiday film? Tell us in the comments below.