As the year comes to a close, it’s a great time to reflect on the past 12 months and think about the changes you want to make yourself more successful, happy, and productive. A recent Inc. article says that “changing a habit, especially a bad one, is among the most powerful forces you can employ to change your life and business for the better.” The story lists out 12 bad habits that we should all give up in order to take control of our lives and reach our full potential. Without further adieu, here are the habits.
- Stop giving up. If you want to be successful, you can’t let failure bring you down. When you fall, immediately get back up and keep trying.
- Stop letting everyone else make decisions for you. Don’t let anyone tell you what is and is not good for you. You’re the only one who knows what works for you.
- Stop thinking you’re on your own. It’s okay to ask for help and guidance. As Inc. puts it, “success is not an individual undertaking.”
- Stop chasing after those who don’t want to be caught. Don’t waste time on projects or people that aren’t important to you.
- Stop discrediting yourself for everything you aren’t. Focus on what you are. Respect yourself to know you deserve the best and be confident. Believe in yourself.
- Stop focusing on the negative. Every day might not be a relaxing and fabulous spa day, but there is always something good that happened. Look for that silver lining and think positive.
- Stop being hard on yourself. Making a mistake means you’re human. We all make mistakes, so cut yourself some slack.
- Stop mulling over the past. “It's hard to see the future when you're always looking back. Use the past only as a road map to help guide you toward your future,” writes Lolly Daskal for Inc.
- Stop running from your problems. Own and deal with your problems. Don’t run from them, solve them.
- Stop expecting life to be easy. Lots of things in life are hard. Get over it and move on.
- Stop holding on to things you need to let go. Letting go does not mean giving up. It means accepting that things aren’t working out. If you let them go, you’re closer to achieving success.
- Stop giving up on who you are meant to be. Don’t settle. Spend every ounce of your energy trying to be the person you are meant to be. Find your purpose.
Read more about the topic of breaking bad habits in Rewire.
What bad habits do you want to give up in 2016?