This is a super elastic pantry-style dessert that can easily be made for an intimate group of four or a party of 20. Just add more layers and you're on your way! This version is a combination of apples, blackberry jam, and a touch of rosewater, but imagine how delicious this would be with pears, peach jam, cinnamon, and bourbon? You can go a bit wild with it--just use whatever you have on hand. And don't forget the ice cream! This is a dish that just begs for it.
||A dessert like this needs, no, demands, an epic ice cream to go with it. Old fashioned vanilla is always great, but what a brown butter almond brittle? Brown Butter Almond Brittle Pint, $12, Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams.
4 ounces (one stick) unsalted butter, cold, plus more for greasing the pan
6 to 7 apples peeled, cored and sliced in 1/4 inch thick rounds (use a tart apple like granny smith or pink lady)
4 tablespoons brown sugar
1 1/2 cups blackberry jam
1 1/2 teaspoons rosewater (click here
for a tutorial on how to make your own)
6 cups brioche bread crumbs (or any other slightly sweet bread)
1/4 cup sherry, madiera, or port
Vanilla (or your favorite) ice cream
(makes one 9 x 13 pan
1. Pre-heat oven to 375 F.
2. Thinly slice the butter (I used a vegetable peeler) and hold it in the fridge. Grease a 9" x 13" baking pan.
3. Combine the apples and brown sugar, mixing with your hands to gently coat the apples. Set aside.
4. In a small bowl, combine the blackberry jam and rosewater. Set aside.
5. Spread 1 1/2 cups of the brioche crumbs on the bottom of the baking pan. Layer with a fourth of the thinly sliced butter and a third of the sliced apples.
6. Spread a 1/2 cup of blackberry jam and rosewater mixture over the apples.
7. Repeat the process another two times, ending with an extra layer of breadcrumbs and butter on top. Bake for 30 minutes until golden brown and bubbling.
8. Five minutes before it's done, drizzle with a 1/4 cup of sherry, madiera or port. Serve with vanilla ice cream.
For more recipe ideas, head over to the Kitchy Kitchen
Photographs: Claire Thomas