Warmer weather on the horizon means fewer layers and more excuses to show off your summer body. To work toward your fitness goals, you'll want to take a few notes from Carrie Underwood's trainer Erin Oprea. The Nashville-based fitness guru recently shared a seriously effective ab workout on Instagram, explaining how to do her challenging plank routine at home. The workout requires zero equipment, purely utilizing your own body weight. It calls for a series of four positions to tighten your stomach, targeting your obliques on each side. You'll also strengthen your arms, butt, and legs while you're at it. Basically, it's the perfect workout for when you just can't make it to the gym but still want to give your body a challenge. Here's exactly how to do it.
Side Plank Twist
1. Begin in a side plank position with one forearm on the ground and the opposite arm lifted above your body with shoulder aligned. Stack your feet on top of each other, or put your top foot on the floor to modify.
2. Bend your top elbow and rest your top hand on the back of your head.
3. Twist your top elbow to reach toward your forearm on the ground and lift back up to where you started using your obliques.
Side Plank Pulses
1. Stay in a side plank position with your top arm raised in a straight line.
2. Use your core to lift your hips up a few inches and lower back down to where you started.
Elbow Plank With Hip Dips
1. Rotate from side plank position to forearm plank position with both forearms on the ground and a flat back. Make sure your feet are just wider than your hips.
2. Dip your right a few inches toward the floor and come back to center before dipping your left dip down in the same motion. Swivel on your toes as you rotate from side to side.
Continue for 30 seconds. Rest and do the sequence again. This time, do the first two moves on the opposite side of your body.