I have always been a die-hard fan of Champagne. Although I love a bottle of a classic vintage of the real deal from France—like Krug—I don’t discriminate, and equally enjoy Cava, Prosecco, Sket, and sparkling wine made anywhere else in the world.
Growing up, there was never a time when my parents' fridge didn’t have a shiny, foil-topped bottle of sparkling wine behind the milk, orange juice, and water. My mom has long considered Champagne an everyday affair, and keeps mini bottles of bubbles around so she can enjoy a single glass whenever she wants. She has taught me that enjoying life, and a luxurious bottle of Champagne, doesn’t have to be reserved for a special day of celebration—and that’s one of the reasons why I always keep a bottle of bubbles in my fridge. I encourage you to do so, too. If you need more convincing, here are 22 reasons you should always have a bottle of Champagne chilling in your fridge.
- It’s a refreshing and wonderful wine that pairs well with everything from oysters to pizza.
- An old friend you haven’t seen in forever just called and is going to stop by in five minutes.
- An old friend you haven’t seen in forever called three weeks ago to let you know they are coming over today.
- Something fabulous and celebratory happened unexpectedly. You got a raise! Your sister is getting married! Your brother is having a baby! Your best friend has finally decided to quit her job to travel the world like she’s been talking about doing for years!
- Something fabulous and celebratory happened on purpose. You worked hard for that promotion and got it! You were offered a prestigious new job at an exciting company! You passed the bar exam!
- Something unfortunate and maybe a little bit bad happened, but you survived, overcame it, and are ultimately okay.
- It’s someone’s birthday. Or someone’s very merry unbirthday.
- Orange juice can get awfully lonely on a weekend morning.
- Bubbles make you laugh, and we could all use more pure unadultured laughter in our lives.
- It’s Friday night! Or Monday night. Or Wednesday night.
- If you’re out of bubbles (soap ones), but want to take a bubble bath, you can have the bubbles on the side in a pretty Champagne flute.
- You don’t need a corkscrew for champagne, making it perfect for impromptu picnics.
- Sometimes the special occasion is having a bottle of bubbles in the fridge.
- Bachelor in Paradise (or your favorite guilty pleasure TV show) is on and your pals are coming over to watch it with you.
- You never know when you’re going to come home from a night on the town, vacation, or work and need a fizzy alcoholic pick-me-up.
- Unless you have a special champagne cork, it doesn’t last more than a day. You don’t want it to go to waste, so you can’t feel guilty about drinking the entire bottle.
- You have to toast something important, and there’s no better spirit to toast with than a sparkler. Cheers!
- You agree with Napoleon when he said: “I drink Champagne when I win, to celebrate… and I drink Champagne when I lose, to console myself.”
- You just bought a beautiful new dress, purse, pair of jeans at an unheard of price and are on a shopping high.
- The sound of a bottle of champagne being popped open is one of the best sounds in the world. It makes everyone feel excited!
- It’s a romantic drink that puts you in the mood, so why not sip a glass with your love?
- Because why not? You don’t always need a reason to drink bubbles.
Shop one of my favorite bottles and a few accompaniments below.
What’s your reason for having a bottle of Champers always at the ready?
Schott Zwiesel 6-Piece Champagne Flute Set ($78)