If there’s something we never get tired of seeing, it’s a great makeover. Whether it’s transforming a retro bathroom into a modern oasis or giving a lackluster bedroom a fresh look, pros perform these design miracles all the time.
To give designers a chance to showcase their favorite makeovers—and to bring you plenty of inspiration for your own home—we’re sharing the best before and afters we’ve seen in our series, Makeover of the Week. Take notes for your next renovation.
“I loved the idea of taking a purely functional space—a laundry room—and turning it into this over-the-top jewel box,” interior designer Courtney Sempliner says. “The house is located in the Hamptons, so I based my color palette and materials on a coastal theme.”
Meet the Expert
Courtney Sempliner is a New York City-based interior designer. She is known for taking a holistic approach to decorating, focusing on the functionality of a home, then creating tailored spaces based on her client’s lifestyle and individual aesthetic.
“The scale of the room was tiny, so I needed to figure out a way to squeeze in as many details as possible without overwhelming the space," Sempliner notes. "Overall, it was pretty much a blank canvas, yet I wasn’t in love with the existing large-scale neutral floor tile. While functional, it didn’t fit with the sophisticated and stylish vibe I was envisioning."
“The goal was to create a luxurious laundry room, a place where someone could read a book, have a drink, or just escape from life while doing the wash,” Sempliner says.
- Color theme: Soft blues, whites, and pops of neutrals combine to create a beachy feel.
- Cabinets and hardware: Clean-lined, high gloss white custom cabinetry is paired with sleek polished nickel hardware.
- Countertop: The durable taupe Silestone quartz countertop adds a neutral element to the space.
- Wallpaper: The ceiling was covered in a large-scale floral wallpaper for a dramatic effect.
- Shelves: Doors were removed from the custom cabinetry to maximize the room’s display space.
- Window treatment: The fabric on the floral Roman shade matches the wallpaper for a fluid continuation of the print.
- Floor: A metallic wool thread gives off a slight shimmer in the leopard print carpet.
- Backsplash: The quartz on the counters was carried up the wall for a clean, modern look.
- Stool: The rattan stool adds texture yet remains a soft element in the room thanks to its upholstered seat and gentle curves.
- Pendant: An 18-facet geometric pendant suspends from the ceiling and adds a bit of glam to the space.
- Appliances: Stacking the washer and dryer maximized the room’s square footage.
- Accessories: A display of books, towels, and nautical décor elevates the space from a typical washroom.
- Wall art: Oceanic-inspired abstract art introduces a soothing color palette to the walls.
- Mural: A hand-painted mural, gracing the hallway leading to the laundry room, depicts a bucolic outdoor setting.
- Blue stool: The blue leather stool is studded with nail heads and serves as a resting spot for the laundry basket or as a place to sit while folding clothes.
Shop the Look:
“This traditional wallpaper is the perfect way to incorporate the grandmillennial trend into a space," Sempliner explains.
“The stool’s rattan silhouette gives off a vintage vibe, plus I love that there are over 50 options to choose from when deciding on the fabric top,” Sempliner says.
“This classic iron pendant, with its antique mirror glass, can work in all types of spaces, including a laundry room," Sempliner says.