When it comes to cool, Europe effortlessly exudes this covetable trait. The people appear to be naturally chic, the food is divine, and the culture is unmatched. No doubt at least one European city is on your travel wish list for 2018. If you're planning your next adventure, you may want to consider swapping a few obvious points of interest for some lesser-known neighborhoods. Business Insider turned to the world's top experts from a variety of travel websites and companies to identify which European spots can't be missed. If you're looking for something quirky and authentic, these are the cities to add to your bucket list immediately, according to Business Insider.
1. Monti in Rome. This Italian neighborhood is the place to go for markets, culture, and family-run businesses, according to the digital editor of Suitcase Magazine, India Dowley. You'll still be close to hot spots like the Colosseum, but you'll get a taste of the local culture.
2. Nafplio, Greece. Chris Austin of the luxury cruise company Seabourn says Nafplio is where the locals spend their time. "It's a different world," he says, in comparison to the bustling bars and beaches where tourists usually frequent.
3. Salesas in Madrid. For galleries and museums away from the crowds, head to the Salesas neighborhood in Madrid. Pablo Carrington of the Marugal Hotel Company says, "There's not a single global brand in sight, and only locals populate the streets."
4. Jardin des Plantes in Paris. If you're in Paris, skip the Louvre and spend a day exploring this hip Parisian neighborhood, which is apparently void of tourists. According to Lonely Planet Editorial Director Tom Hall, you'll also want to check out the Arènes de Lutèce and the Paris Mosque.
5. Grünerløkka in Oslo, Norway. "It's unapologetically hip, in a very Scandinavian way," says Gilbert Ott of the travel site God Save the Points. Unique shops line colorful streets where you can enjoy food and cocktails made of local fare you can't get anywhere else.
25 Things Our Editors Never Travel Without
Up next, read about 16 wonders of the natural world that everyone should see in their lifetime.