First introduced by celebrated midcentury furniture designers Charles and Ray Eames in 1956, the Eames Lounge Chair and Ottoman came from a desire to create a chair that possessed, in their own words, “the warm, receptive look of a well-used first baseman’s mitt.” Little did the husband-and-wife design duo know that their creation would become one of the most recognisable and classic pieces of all time. In continuous production and demand since its release, the Eames Lounge Chair pairs soft, gets-better-with-age leather with the sleek, striking form of moulded wood. It’s a piece that adds design oomph to any space—whether the overall look is avant-garde modern, relaxed and bohemian, or all-around retro. Read on for 12 reasons why the iconic design continues to top our most-coveted list.
1. Because it is the picture of upscale, timeless elegance.
2. Because it looks damn good in just about any colour.
3. Because it’s the most luxurious and still-cosy reading chair ever.
4. Because it never looks dated (even in a room surrounded by other throwback pieces).
6. Because the gorgeous wood frame makes it fit seamlessly into bohemian spaces, too.
10. Because it shines in minimal, Scandinavian-inspired spaces.
12. Because, despite its iconic status, it still feels laid-back and subtle.
Are you a fan of the Eames Lounge Chair? Sound off in the comments!