Christian Vierig/Getty Images
Planning a date tends to change dramatically as relationships grow and mature. First dates often involve activities that allow you and your potential S.O. to learn more about each other (and decide if a second date is in the cards), whereas dating after the one-year mark becomes an opportunity to connect on a deeper level. If you’re in a long-term committed relationship, the dates you plan with your other half might focus on breaking routine to keep the spark alive.
Regardless of which stage your relationship is in, fall is the perfect time to shake up your usual “dinner and a movie” plans for a seasonal activity. You can get close in a haunted house, work together to pick the perfect pumpkin, visit an apple orchard, play in the fallen leaves, or even take a quick vacation in search of fall foliage. Seriously, fall just might be the most romantic time of the year. No matter where you are in your relationship, experience the season with these fall date ideas.
The first date will always come with jitters and nerves, no matter what you have planned. It’s best to take advantage of fall activities that will help you get the conversation flowing and can keep you distracted if the connection starts to fizzle.
3 Months In
After a few months of dating, you’ll want to plan more meaningful outings. Now that you’re feeling comfortable with each other, plan more elaborate dates, and find activities that interest both parties.
5. Enjoy a homemade picnic in the park.
6. Get tickets for a football game.
7. Go hiking in the crisp fall air.
8. Visit a brewery and see if you and your date have compatible tastes.
6 Months In
At this point, you’ll want to do just about everything together. Plan a date that challenges you both to work together or involves spending a whole day with each other.
9. Test your skills in the kitchen at a cooking class.
10. Take a long drive through roads coated in fall foliage.
11. Spend a day at a nearby fall festival.
12. Visit an apple orchard and see who can fill their basket first.
One Year In
After a year together, you know what you like to do as a couple, and most dates happen naturally as you spend more and more time together. Plan something special this fall to remind each other how much you enjoy being together.
13. Buy seasonal produce at the farmers market for the week of cooking ahead,
14. Take a hot air balloon ride over burnt orange and golden yellow trees.
15. Go camping and pack plenty of blankets for cuddling by the fire.
16. Book a stay at bed and breakfast in a nearby town with the best fall foliage.
Just because you’re in a long-term relationship doesn’t mean your days of adorable fall dates are over. Plan to spend quality time together with these fall date ideas.
17. Snuggle near the fire with a movie at home.
18. Make candy apples together.
19. Rake the leaves and then play in them.
20. Cuddle up on a hayride.
Once you’ve been together long enough, planning a date takes on a new meaning. Do something together to celebrate your love that’s lasted through so many changing seasons.
21. Splurge on a fall vacation to somewhere you’ve never been.
22. Take a walk in the park to admire the weather and scenery.
23. Go antiquing at a flea market to add to your collection.
24. Stargaze in your backyard or on the porch with a glass of cider and a warm blanket.
Sign up for MyDomaine's newsletter for more love and dating advice and ideas.
This post was originally published on November 8, 2017, and has since been updated.