If there’s something we never get tired of seeing, it’s a great makeover. Whether it’s transforming a retro bathroom into a modern oasis or giving a lackluster bedroom a fresh look, pros perform these design miracles all the time.
To give designers a chance to showcase their favorite makeovers—and to bring you plenty of inspiration for your own home—we’re sharing the best before and afters we’ve seen in our series, Makeover of the Week. Take notes for your next renovation.
“After a few failed attempts at DIY design, my client reached out and asked if I could help bring her daughters' bedroom to life, who are aged 7 and 4,” interior designer Marie Cloud says. “The girls are homeschooled, so mom wanted to make sure they had a playful space where they could escape from the rigors of classwork.”
Meet the Expert
Marie Cloud is the owner and principal designer of Indigo Pruitt Design Studio in Charlotte, North Carolina. She blends contemporary elements with charming details to best complement her clients’ lifestyles.
“Everything in the 12’ x 12’ room—from the walls to the carpet to the ceiling fan—was pretty much beige and neutral in tone,” Cloud notes. “There was no color, no rhythm, or any flow to the space—boring.”
“My goal was to make the space feel fun yet create décor the girls wouldn’t soon outgrow,” Cloud notes. “The wallpaper on the accent wall features colorful poppy flowers and is the space's focal point, giving the room its energy and excitement. To add texture, I included geometric curtain panels, shaggy pillows, and stitched bedding.”
- Color theme: Pink + teal + red + white = a vibrant and happy vibe.
- Wallpaper: The large-scale floral print wallpaper draws your eye to the accent wall and creates a wow moment in the room.
- Nightstand: A single-drawer teal nightstand between the two beds offers space for a reading lamp, clock, and picture frame.
- Beds: Painted white headboards were original to the room and reused due to their cozy cottage-like style.
- Bedding: Natural-colored coverlets provide the base for Robin’s egg blue linen blankets and a mix of solid and striped pillows.
- Wall art: The personalized print has a retro feel and plays to the colors in the wallpaper.
- Window treatments: The linen curtain panels conceal room darkening blinds and feature a lively geometric red print.
- Basket: A seagrass basket provides storage for books and knickknacks.
- Wall paint: The walls were painted in a calming blue/green/gray shade (Sherwin Williams Sea Salt) to offset the rich colors in the room.
- Dresser: The vintage-inspired 6-drawer chest has ample storage for the girls’ clothing.
- Floor: Hand-knotted shag rugs are placed at the end of each bed to give the floor a pop of color.
- Chair: A child-sized Chesterfield chair has soft tufting and provides a place to read and relax.
Shop the Look:
“This wallpaper is so easy to switch out thanks to its peel-and-stick design,” Cloud says.
“These crafty art pieces are a great way to add a personalized touch to any space,” Cloud explains.
“The brass accents, clear glass, and cream linen shade make this the perfect lamp for any room style,” Cloud says.