Have you ever had a hunch that your child isn’t like the rest? Perhaps they are surprisingly adept at solving problems, or maybe they’ve picked up skills that surpass those of their peers. To help you decipher the signs, PopSugar has outlined the character traits that indicate your child could be a cut above the rest.
The National Association for Gifted Children specifies that “gifted individuals are those who demonstrate outstanding levels of aptitude (defined as an exceptional ability to reason and learn) or competence (documented performance or achievement in top 10 percent or rarer) in one or more domains.” These domains include mathematics, music, language, sports, painting, and more. Curious to find out if your child is gifted? These five traits are all telltale signs:
- Strong interest in science or literature
- Exceptional memory, but regular boredom with memorizing or reciting information
- Power of abstraction, conceptualization, and synthesis
- Willingness to accept complexity
- Self-discipline, with little outside control from parents or teachers
Searching for more advice about gifted children? Shop Smart Parenting for Smart Kids ($15) for insight.