Every once in a while, it’s perfectly okay to indulge in fast food. However, if you’re on a diet and looking for something that’s not going to break the scale calorie and fat wise, it’s best to approach your favorite fast-food joint with caution. Unless, of course, you know what happens to be the healthiest item on the menu. Luckily, the folks at Business Insider have done the dirty work of figuring out which fast-food dishes are nutritious and filling. Here are 12 dishes—each 500 calories or fewer—that are the healthiest menu options at everywhere from McDonald’s to Panera Bread.
- Chipotle: Chicken burrito bowl with brown rice and pinto beans, no cheese or sour cream.
- In-N-Out: Cheeseburger with onion, ketchup, and mustard (instead of the special sauce).
- Chick-Fil-A: Grilled chicken cool wrap.
- Shake Shack: Single hamburger or chicken dog.
- Taco Bell: Fresco chicken burrito supreme.
- Panera Bread: Smoked turkey breast sandwich on country bread.
- Wendy’s: Asian cashew chicken salad.
- Papa John’s: Garden fresh pizza, two medium slices.
- McDonald’s: Artisan grilled chicken sandwich.
- Burger King: BK veggie burger, no mayo.
- Subway: Six-inch turkey breast sub with avocado, no cheese.
- Pizza Hut: Garden party thin-crust pizza, two medium slices.
If you’re indulging in something super messy in the car, be sure to have a few dish towels handy; they are a great makeshift bib.
What’s your guilty-pleasure fast-food menu item?