This Is the One Thing Most Homeowners Wish They Had In Their Homes


Katie Martinez Design 

In life, you quickly learn that sometimes the things that you want the most are not actually what you truly need. This is true in matters of the heart, your career, and even your home décor. Trends come and go, but only a few interior design elements truly stand the test of time, which is why it’s quite common for some homeowners to look back on a renovation with a few regrets (and a few new ideas for what they wish they had done instead).

According to a national survey commissioned by Erie Insurance, while 53 percent of U.S. homeowners are happy with the renovations they made in their homes, that leaves a whopping 47 percent of homeowners that regret at least one feature they chose for their abode. Unfortunately, these aren’t the types of mistakes that are typically simple or affordable to remedy. That’s what it’s important to be sure of your decisions before you commit to something as permanent as new floors or countertops.

With this in mind, keep reading to find out the top five features homeowners wish they hadn’t put in their homes and the top five features they’re currently coveting.

What Homeowners Regret

  1. Hardwood Floors
  2. Granite Countertops
  3. Stainless Steel Appliances
  4. Fireplace
  5. Deck

The reasons why homeowners regretted installing these features included everything from feeling like the design element wasn’t worth the money to feeling like the feature had become outdated. Specifically, respondents noted that stainless steel appliances, white kitchen cabinets, and whirlpool tubs are hard to keep clean, which is why they wouldn’t choose them again.

What Homeowners Wish They Had

  1. Walk-In Pantry
  2. Granite Countertops
  3. Kitchen Island
  4. Tankless Water Heater
  5. Finished Basement

A massive 30 percent of homeowners regret not having a walk-in pantry, making it the most wished-for feature, according to the survey. Granite countertops take second place, which is surprising since the design element was also high on the list of things homeowners regretted installing. However, 7.8 percent of survey respondents regretted their granite countertops while 17.8 percent wished they had them. This likely comes down to personal taste.

No matter what features homeowners regret or wish for, the survey also found that the vast majority of respondents are generally happy with their homes. In fact, 94.6 percent said they like or love their homes. If this is indicative of anything, it’s that it’s not necessarily any one specific design element that makes a house a home.

Next up: The Most Common Decorating Questions Our Editors Are Asked—Answered

Article Sources
MyDomaine uses only high-quality, trusted sources, including peer-reviewed studies, to support the facts within our articles. Read our editorial guidelines to learn more about how we keep our content accurate, reliable and trustworthy.
  1. Buyer's Remorse: Can You Guess What Homeowners Regret Most? Erie Insurance. May 13, 2019.