Three-day weekends are all about relaxing and doing the things you enjoy—but what kinds of activities should you engage in to make the most of your extra 24 hours? According to Michael Kerr, an international business speaker and author of The Humor Advantage, "Successful people recognize how important it is to take advantage of a long weekend to refuel their passions and recharge their batteries," he told Business Insider.
Lynn Taylor, a national workplace expert, agrees: "These extended weekends are different from the regular weekend because you know you have extra time to relax, tie up loose ends personally, catch up with important people in your life, or get ahead on a project," she told BI. "And time is a nonrenewable resource. How you spend it should be consistent with what you need to accomplish short- and long-term to be content."
Here's how the two experts recommend spending your much-needed extra day off:
1. Unplug from technology for at least part of the day.
2. Spend time with family and friends.
3. Get outdoors and enjoy nature.
4. Hit the gym.
5. Engage in an activity that supports your passion.
6. Make a personal to-do list for the week ahead.
7. Of course, and perhaps most importantly, try to keep your mind off work.
Shop long-weekend essentials: