Before you can master making your own tomato sauce, hosting your first dinner party, or tackling any number of must-know recipes, acquiring basic knife skills should be your priority in the kitchen. Knowing your way around a cutting board is essential. Since vegetables are integral to nearly everyone’s diet, we thought we’d show you how to cut onions, tomatoes, and garlic, three of the most commonly used veggies.
Watch our exclusive video to learn how to chop, slice, and mince them. You’ll be a samurai in no time.
- Slice off the top of the onion.
- Slice down through the roots.
- Peel off the skin and top layer.
- Slice down from top almost to roots.
- Turn it 90° and slice sideways.
- Slice down, chopping it into tiny pieces. Voilà!
- Remove the stem from the tomato.
- Remove the core by cutting on an angle.
- Set the tomato on its side and slice down. Voilà!
- Break the bulb by hand.
- Smash each clove with the side of a knife.
- Peel off the clove skin.
- Slice the clove horizontally into eighths.
- Chop the eighths lengthwise into fine pieces. Voilà!
What culinary skills would you like to learn? What would you like to see in our next video? Share with us below.