I can’t stop talking about an Elite Daily article that discusses simple ways to eat healthy without even thinking. The idea that you can unconsciously be fitter is kind of mind-boggling, right? “By making small changes to the physical environment around you, it can become much easier to stick to good habits,” author James Clear writes before listing strategies for changing your environment so that you eat healthfully. Here’s how you do it:
- Use smaller plates.
- Make water more readily available.
- Use tall, slender glasses instead of short, fat ones, as you will drink less.
- Use plates that have a high color contrast with your food.
- Display healthy foods in a prominent place.
- Wrap unhealthy foods in foil and healthy foods in plastic wrap.
- Keep healthy foods in larger packages and containers, and unhealthy foods in smaller ones.
- Make half of every plate fruit or vegetables.
- Don’t shop in the center of the grocery store—these aisles are filled with unhealthy foods.
Learn more about how your environment can shape your eating decisions by reading Brian Wansink’s book Mindless Eating.
What are your tricks for eating healthfully?