With social media websites like Instagram, dating apps like The League, and constant text messages from friends and family members, I sometimes find it hard to stay focused. I’ve started switching my phone onto airplane mode when I’m working, and I leave it in a room far away from my work station so I don’t get distracted. This is helping, but I can’t help but wonder: What are some other ways to stay focused? Business Insider recently put together a video on the subject with tips on how to stay focused all day long. “These scientific tips and tricks will help you regain focus and maintain better overall concentration in and out of the office,” says Emma Fierberg.
- Stop multitasking. Multitasking negatively effects your ability to switch from task to task. It also reduces your attention span and memory capacity.
- Meditate. The concentration that meditation requires can improve your cognitive function.
- Exercise. Working out improves memory capacity and concentration, and it promotes brain health. It also releases a chemical that helps refresh your memory.
- Take a break. Those who take a break from work perform better over time than those who don’t.
- Train your brain. Playing brain-enhancing games naturally promotes focus.
- Stare into space. Taking a break from looking at a screen is beneficial to concentration. Refocus your eyes and give them a rest by going on a walk outside.
- No Internet. When you’re working and you decide to take a quick look on Facebook to see what your friends are up to, you’re reducing your attention span. To avoid wasting your attention on something that is not work-related, don’t browse the Internet.
To learn more about the power of focus, read Manage Your Day-to-Day.
How do you remain focused on the task at hand?