She's a CEO, author, publisher, television host, and authority on all things cooking, decorating, and entertaining—oh, and she's 74 years old. Yes, Martha Stewart is one of those women about whom we can't help but wonder How does she do it? The inspiring boss gave us a glimpse into her jam-packed schedule in an article on her eponymous website, offering a few insights into the daily habits she swears by for a productive morning. Take note: This is what the successful lifestyle guru does every day before 10 a.m.
- Wake up early and work. "I wake up at 4:30 or 5:00 every morning. I turn my iPad on and check to make sure the blog is up," she says, followed by a quick scan of The New York Times. Yes, the first thing Stewart does every day is work.
- Chores first. The organization expert tackles easy household tasks in the morning as she gets ready to avoid a build-up at the end of the day. First up? She makes her bed every day. "It's one of my greatest luxuries in life," she says.
- Plan for the unexpected. Given her many ventures, Stewart makes sure she's always prepared for a last-minute meeting or event. She plans what to wear in the morning and says, "it could be up to three outfits!"
- Make time for exercise. "I go to the gym around 6:30 a.m.," Stewart says. At the moment, her workout of choice is yoga.
- Grab breakfast on the go. Breakfast is often credited as the most important meal of the day, so we were surprised to learn the lifestyle expert swears by a small meal-to-go during her work commute, such as yogurt or fruit.
Dread making your bed in the morning? Shop this genius duvet cover and flat sheet in one: