Original Illustration by Stephanie DeAngelis
If you check your horoscope regularly, you know that Mercury is once again in retrograde for not one, not two, but three weeks. It started on December 3 and will last until December 22. For the unfamiliar, Mercury is thought to be in retrograde when the planet appears to be moving backward (though this is only an illusion). In astrological terms, when Mercury is in retrograde it is thought to disrupt things like communication, coordination, travel, and technology. You'll likely hear people blaming this phenomenon for everything from dropped calls to hearing from an ex out of the blue. As you experience this astrological event, heed the advice of intuitive healer and tarot reader Lindsay Mack, who told MindBodyGreen how each sign can deal with Mercury in retrograde. Here's how to handle the next few weeks based on her insights.
- Aries. Take this time to focus on your passions and be a source of positivity for those who need it. "As a natural leader, you'll be ready and waiting to cheer up those of us who may have succumbed to the stress of the season," writes Mack.
- Taurus. When things get tough, focus on soothing your senses by creating a safe environment full of good food, essential oils, and calming music. You should also be prepared to go against your innate stubbornness to go with the flow, according to Mack.
- Gemini. If you feel frustrated during this time, Mack suggests focusing on a mantra to bring you back to your internal self. Say, "I am the sky. Everything else is the weather."
- Cancer. Feed your natural inclination to create. Mack says this will make the potentially difficult time "magical."
- Leo. Your nature to help others will see you through this retrograde, according to Mack. "As a persuasive and powerful communicator, it's your civic duty to step in and clean up the mess."
- Virgo. "You are an astronomically practical person with a set of wicked street smarts," writes Mack. Take this talent with you during the next few weeks to deal with any crisis that may arise. If you begin to feel stressed, try a workout or breathing exercise to calm down.
- Libra. This is a time to surround yourself with beauty. It will help you clear your mind and see spiritual signals, according to Mack.
- Scorpio. Mack calls you the "detective of the zodiac," meaning you'll be able to see the truth even when communication is deterred by the retrograde. However, be sure to feel out your crowd before being too blunt with your opinions.
- Sagittarius. You know how to go with the flow, so this time shouldn't give you too much trouble. Although Mack suggests knowing when to take a step back if you get yourself into a friendly argument.
- Capricorn. It may be tough considering your nature to plan, but try to break free from your practical side and step into your role as a leader. If you struggle to feel comfortable, Mack suggests yoga and meditation.
- Aquarius. "As someone who is always on the hunt for the next intellectual stimulus that breaks the status quo, you feel right at home in this chaotic transit," writes Mack. Embrace this time, but avoid unnecessary conflict.
- Pisces. This is a time to follow your intuition and trust your spiritual side. While you may be compassionate, Mack warns not to let others dictate your mood. Try carrying a stone to protect your energy. Mack suggests black tourmaline.