If there’s something we never get tired of seeing, it’s a great makeover. Whether it’s transforming a retro bathroom into a modern oasis or giving a lackluster bedroom a fresh look, pros perform these design miracles all the time.
To give designers a chance to showcase their favorite makeovers—and to bring you plenty of inspiration for your own home—we’re sharing the best before and afters we’ve seen in our series, Makeover of the Week. Take notes for your next renovation.
“Our clients, both in demanding careers, wanted a cozy retreat where they could retire at the end of a long day,” interior designer Amy Leferink says. “Their children are now four and seven, yet they still associated this bedroom with late-night feedings and sleepless nights.”
Meet the Expert
Interior designer Amy Leferink is the owner and principal of Interior Impressions in Woodbury, Minnesota. She gets her inspiration from a variety of styles, but specializes in modern and coastal California-inspired design.
“The bedroom lacked warmth and personality with its mismatched bedding, worn gold carpet, and boring beige walls," Leferink says. "The windows in the room were limited to a single shade and the lighting to a flush mount ceiling fixture and two metal lamps. The nightstands and the room’s only dresser were too small for the space."
“We created a modern bedroom with a monochromatic theme,” Leferink says. “The statement wallpaper and the two brass sconces pop against the tall white headboard, while custom bedding, pillows, and a faux fur throw were carefully curated to provide the perfect mix of cozy organic cottons, dreamy linens, and shimmery velvet.”
- Color theme: Black, white, and gray are mixed with brushed gold accents to create a modern palette.
- Walls: The black agate print wallpaper is made of linen and gives off the perfect wow-factor without overwhelming the space.
- Lighting: Brass and glass sconces are simple yet exhibit a very sexy silhouette while the spherical metal pendant above the bed adds dimension to the room.
- Bench: A tufted leather cushion rests on an antique brass base, coordinating with the other brass elements in the room.
- Windows: The gray and white valance, with its lattice print, complements the room’s neutral color theme, while the custom window seat, covered in a family-friendly chenille, introduces a fresh design element to the space.
- Bed: The white king-sized tufted headboard is covered in a performance fabric that can be easily cleaned.
- Tree: A faux potted fiddle leaf tree adds a pop of green among all the dark hues.
- Floor: The gray nylon looped carpet grounds the room in a feeling of calmness.
- Nightstands: The two-drawer black nightstands, with their marble surface and brass hardware, provide a place for photos and accessories along with additional storage.
- Dresser: The 6-drawer dresser, sister to the nightstands, is perfectly sized for the space.
- Wall art: The abstract art projects soothing layers of gray, white and gold sand.
Shop the Look:
“I love the drama of this 80” tall headboard," Leferink says. "Plus, it’s easy to clean, so it will hold up to kids climbing in bed."
“We kept the pillows from being anything but boring by layering luxurious textures and incorporating a mix of patterns,” Leferink says.
“I always prefer real over faux plants and trees, but in some situations, our clients don’t want to manage the care of living greenery," Leferink says. "This tree is realistic looking and also very affordable."