If there’s something we never get tired of seeing, it’s a great makeover. Whether it’s transforming a retro bathroom into a modern oasis or giving a lackluster bedroom a fresh look, pros perform these design miracles all the time.
To give designers a chance to showcase their favorite makeovers—and to bring you plenty of inspiration for your own home—we’re sharing the best before and afters we’ve seen in our series, Makeover of the Week. Take notes for your next renovation.
“My clients were building a vacation home and wanted a master bathroom where they could spend a lot of time relaxing,” interior designer Michelle Boudreau shares. “My goal was to create a luxe space with unique features and characteristics, including a bathtub area with views of the desert landscape and sculpturesque mountains.”
Meet the Expert
Designer Michelle Boudreau is the owner of Michelle Boudreau Design in Palm Springs, California. She is passionate about modern design and architecture, striving to keep the original integrity of her projects while showcasing them in a unique new light.
“The house was a new build, so I was able to design the bathroom of my client's dreams,” Boudreau notes. “At the top of their list was ensuring that the exterior views were embraced.”
“The bathroom was curated with custom materials in unique shapes and textures with a nod to the past, and an eye towards the future. The black, white, and charcoal space depicts the modernist perspectives of California elegance with an edge,” Boudreau says.
- Color theme: A mix of black, white, and brass hues gives this room a modern edge.
- Vanity: The black marble countertop on the double vanity contains hints of gold flecks while two matte vanity drawers provide storage.
- Mirrors: Uniquely shaped brass mirrors over the vanity and on the wall add cool curves to the space.
- Sconces: Textured globe lights are suspended from the ceiling and paired with brass discs by the sink while the brass on the globe lights by the tub adds warmth to the area.
- Backsplash: The bold black and white backsplash is created out of marble and is set in a unique pattern.
- Hardware: The sink and shower hardware tie into the room’s brass mirrors, vanity pulls and towel rack, while adding warmth to the space.
- Shower tile: Dividing the textured wall tile into two different colors—black and white—makes for a bold statement in the shower.
- Floor: A large squared Terrazzo tile with black, charcoal, and white specking brings together all the colors in the room.
- Wall cabinet: Custom built-in cabinets have glass fronts and lighting to frame each shelf.
- Stool: The midcentury modern stool is covered in a soft sherpa fabric.
- Walls: The flat finished walls are painted in Dunn-Edwards White Picket Fence.
- Tub: A freestanding soaking tub with a black exterior and white interior connects to the room’s color palette.
- Chair: The leather seat on the ebony-stained chair adds a unique design element to the bathroom.
- Window: Ultra sheer shades create privacy while still allowing in sunlight.
Shop the Look:
“I like to hang these modern sconces in multiples for a strong visual effect,” Boudreau says.
“A stool is a simple way to add a stylish element to a bathroom as well as functional seating,” Boudreau notes.
“I love that these mirrors come in different sizes with options that fit over a sink or cover a wall,” Boudreau notes.