“This empty bedroom—with its drab walls, dusty valences, and dated wall-to-wall carpet—was in serious need of a refresh,” says interior decorator Phoebe Howard.
Meet the Expert
Phoebe Howard is a Florida-based interior designer known for her modern take on traditional style. She is the author of three books, owner of four retail stores—under the labels Mrs. Howard and Max & Company—and has a collection with Sherrill Furniture.
“The room was pretty much a blank space so I filled it with a colorful canopy, bright floral curtains, and a custom-made bed,” notes Howard. “Painting the walls and trim a bright white made all the other colors in the room stand out, including the accessories.”
“Pink is undeniably one of the cheeriest colors around, which is why I used it to brighten up this little girl’s room,” says Howard.
- Color theme: Fuchsia + orange + white = one happy color combo.
- Canopy: The valance is lined in a playful pom pom fringe and sits above the windows to create the illusion of a higher ceiling.
- Window treatments: Roman shades with a repeat floral pattern sync with the wall canvas fabric.
- End tables: The two white lacquer end tables, with their circular silver pulls, display animal figurines and floral arrangements.
- Bed: The full-sized bed is covered in a fuchsia fabric and multi-print pillows.
- Lighting: Matching orange ceramic lamps provide a symmetrical pop of color.
- Elephant: A whimsical wicker basket with a removable lid provides extra storage.
- Rug: The white wall-to-wall wool carpet adds warmth to the room.
- Walls: The super white paint provides a backdrop for the colors to pop.
- Lamp: The desk lamp was custom painted raspberry to compliment the other accessories in the room.
- Print: A large peony is framed in white to provide a pop of color above the desk.
- Desk: Eye-catching lattice gives the desk a cottage-like feel.