If there’s something we never get tired of seeing, it’s a great makeover. Whether it’s transforming a retro bathroom into a modern oasis or giving a lackluster bedroom a fresh look, pros perform these design miracles all the time.
To give designers a chance to showcase their favorite makeovers—and to bring you plenty of inspiration for your own home—we’re sharing the best before and afters we’ve seen in our series, Makeover of the Week. Take notes for your next renovation.
"The plan was to transform this blank canvas into an inviting and cozy dream girls’ bedroom that could be used for both sleep and play,” interior designer Brenda Danso says.
Meet the Expert
Interior designer Brenda Danso is the owner of BD Interior Design in Toronto, Ontario. She creates spaces that are functional and joyful, prioritizing neutral colors, natural elements, and playful pops of color.
“This bedroom is shared by two sisters, ages five and six, who were seeking an indoor play space,” Danso says. “My goal was to make the room multipurpose, a place where they could both rest and have fun.”
“Pink plays a role in pretty much every aspect of this room—a custom-designed mural with brush strokes and splashes defines the room’s feature wall, while the curtains, bedding, and rug all add their own pops of pink,” Danso notes. “The window provides an amazing view of nature, so I incorporated outdoor elements into the design, including a swing and tree stump.”
- Color theme: Monochromatic pink tones were paired with natural wood to create a playful palette inspired by nature.
- Walls: A large-scale digital print panel was created for the accent wall while the remaining walls were painted in a soft pink, Benjamin Moore’s Wispy Pink.
- Floor: The multi-colored bohemian-style rug features geometric patterns and is made of an easy-to-care-for synthetic fiber.
- Window treatments: Roller shades allow access to the view, while cotton pink curtain panels add a layer of warmth and privacy.
- Bed: The rose gold metal platform bed features a rounded headboard, vertical accents, and an adjustable base to accommodate storage needs.
- Bedding: The duvet set is made of sustainably grown cotton and is layered with velvet and floral decorative pillows for a more fanciful feel.
- Ceiling light: The chandelier adds a bit of modern charm to the space with its mix of uniquely shaped and overlapping marble resin pieces.
- Nightstand: The tree stump brings an outdoor element indoors; it’s coated in a natural finish and painted with blue accents.
- Swing: The functioning indoor swing, with its frayed tassels, was handcrafted out of reclaimed soft maple wood.
- Mirror: The arched top accent mirror adds architectural style to the wall.
- Basket: The woven basket holds extras pillows and stuffed animals, keeping the room organized.
Shop the Look:
“I love this chandelier because it gives the room a slightly grown-up feel,” Danso says.
“This is a great rug because it’s vibrant yet adds a soft texture to the space,” Danso explains.
“The swing created a way to bring outdoor fun indoors,” Danso notes.