Your stomach is filled with butterflies. You inwardly swoon as you notice that your legs are touching. "This second date is going wonderfully," you think as you sip a glass of Syrah. They finish their story about backpacking through Thailand and suddenly things take a turn for the worst. An awkward, uncomfortable silence fills the air and you can't think of anything to say. Have you experienced this dating conundrum before?
Unexpected silences that linger can quickly go from inconvenient to embarrassing and have the potential to ruin a great date, so it's best to be prepared. That's why whenever I go on a date, be it a first or a seventh, I have a list of conversation-starting questions in the back of my mind. The questions should be light, fun, and evoke interesting answers. Avoid polarizing topics like politics and religion, as you don't want to end up in a heated debate. Need some inspiration? Here are 43 questions to ask on a date.
1. What's your favorite color?
2. What sport did you play in high school?
3. Where did you go to college?
4. What were the holidays like in your house growing up?
5. What's your spirit animal?
6. Where do you like to shop for clothes?
7. What television shows are you into right now?
8. What kind of cake do you eat on your birthday?
9. Which sports teams do you follow?
10. Are you a fan of the Harry Potter series?
11. What was your most memorable vacation?
12. Who in your family are you closest to?
13. What was your most epic Halloween costume?
14. Do you like to cook?
15. What's your go-to recipe for a busy weeknight?
16. Where have you traveled?
17. If you had to drink only one spirit for the rest of your life, what would it be?
18. Do you like to swim in the ocean?
19. Do you collect anything?
20. What book is currently on your nightstand?
21. Have you seen any good movies lately?
22. What's your favorite part of the traditional Thanksgiving meal?
23. Which Star Wars character do you most identify with?
24.Where is your happy place?
25. What does your perfect Saturday consist of?
26. Do you prefer coffee or tea?
27. What is something you're bad at?
28. What are you dying to try?
29. What is your hidden talent?
30. What is your favorite TV show?
31. When you were little, what did you want to be when you grew up?
32. What Spotify station are you currently rocking?
33. Are you a cat person or a dog person?
34. What's your morning coffee order?
35. When's your birthday?
36. What are your pet peeves?
37. Do you have any irrational fears?
38. What's your favorite ice cream flavor?
39. What's the worst date you've ever been on?
40. What destination is at the top of your travel bucket list?
41. If you could grab drinks with anyone in the world (dead or alive), who would it be?
42. Do you have any quirky habits?
43. Which book has changed your life?