There is an unfortunate misconception that a party must be held around a special occasion. Whether it’s a birthday, an engagement, or a holiday, most of us throw a party for a specific reason. But what if it’s just another calendar day and there is no holiday, birthday, or wedding in the near future? Does that mean you’re not allowed to host the most memorable bash ever? No! I’m a firm believer that you can have a celebration whenever you want for whatever you want. To inspire you to get your hostess-with-the-mostess hat out, I’ve come up with 31 reasons to throw a party for no reason.
So go ahead: Text your friends, pop the champagne, plate the cheese, and have the most stylish affair around, simply because you can.
1. There is a full moon.
2. It’s fashion week.
3. There’s a new episode of Empire on.
4. It’s Friday. Or Saturday. Or Tuesday.
5. Someone is moving away.
6. Someone is moving back.
7. Your brother wants to introduce you to his new girlfriend.
8. You just got back from an amazing vacation and want to re-create some of the cuisine you tasted while traveling.
9. An old friend you haven’t seen in forever is in town.
10. Your best friend and her significant other just broke up. Nothing like a party to cheer her up!
POP A BOTTLE:
11. You bought the prettiest new tablecloth.
12. Your apartment is finally decorated.
13. Your apartment is clean!
14. Your first wine-club shipment has arrived.
15. You were given a hefty gift card to Trader Joe’s.
16. You’ve finally decided to quit your job/start your own business/travel the world.
17. It’s your half birthday!
18. You just realized Whole Foods sells oysters for only $1 on Fridays, and it’s Friday.
19. You consistently worked out five days in a row this week.
20. BevMo is having a sale on champagne.
21. Your college football team is playing a rival, and the game is on TV.
22. You’ve finally mastered Julia Child’s beef bourguignonne.
23. You came across the most amazing vintage punch bowl and matching glasses at Goodwill.
24. You feel like making fried chicken, macaroni and cheese, and Southside cocktails.
25. You’re having an exceptional hair day.
26. You’ve harvested the last of your heirloom tomatoes.
27. You got a raise, promotion, or more vacation time. Congrats!
28. You worked to achieve something (you passed a test, finished occupational therapy school, or gave a presentation at work), and you nailed it.
29. You’ve taken a cocktail-making class and are anxious to show off your new skills as a bartender.
30. It’s the first rain or snow of the season.
31. The flowers in your garden are blooming.
What’s your favorite reason to have a party?
This story was originally published in September 2015 and was updated by Sophie Miura in September 2017.