Apple + bacon + pecan + arugula is by no means a new combination. Honestly, it's up there with butternut squash + sage + brown butter in the "things that go together" culinary pantheon. But adding this maple yogurt dressing to the equation elevates this taste sensation in an exciting way. It's creamy, it's slightly sweet, and I don't really know what to compare it to. Ranch? Not quite, but pinning it down isn't so
important. What is
important is that it tastes awesome, and you should try it. My. New. Favorite. Salad. Period.
||For those of us who love the earthy, matte aesthetic of Heath Ceramics, but don't have the budget for it, Vera Wang's Naturals Collection serving bowl is minimalist and clean--the perfect canvas for a colorful salad. $72, Macy's
- 2 Fuji apples, thinly sliced
- 4 slices thick cut bacon, diced
- 3/4 cup pecan halves
- 5 ounces arugula
- 1/4 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
1. In a pan over medium high heat, cook the bacon until just crisp, then set the bacon aside on a dish lined with a paper towel.
2. Combine all of the ingredients for the dressing in a lidded container, then shake to blend.
3. In a big bowl, toss the bacon, apples, pecans, and arugula with as much dressing as you like, then serve.
Photograph: Claire Thomas