We are definitely familiar with the fears and woes that come with being single, but we will also be the first to admit that there is absolutely nothing wrong with being single—especially around the holidays. This is a time to celebrate what we do have, not what we don't. So instead of wishing you were part of a couple or feeling envious of your friends who have partners, try to take a step back and consider all of the wonderful things in your life. Trust us; you'll definitely perk up when you think of your friends, family, and pets (among other things!).
So if you're single for the holidays and aren't exactly thrilled about it, read on to discover 21 reasons why being single during the holidays is actually great.
1. You don’t have to split time between someone else’s family and yours. You can do whatever you want from Halloween through New Year’s Eve.
2. You don’t have to worry about impressing a significant other’s family. That second piece of pumpkin pie? Unbutton your pants and eat it!
3. You won’t have to meet anyone’s parents. Or siblings. Or cousins. Or great-grandmothers.
4. You can plan a solo trip. Feel like going to the beach in Uruguay instead of celebrating the holidays at home? You can do it!
Some destinations are actually cheaper around the holidays than others. Check out cool international cities like Phuket, Thailand or Dubai, United Aarab Emirates. Or stay domestic and book trip to Sedona, Arizona or Orlando, Florida.
5. There’s no stressing over what to get your other half (and their family members) as a gift. You can use the money that you saved from not having to buy them gifts to do something fabulous for yourself. Book a blowout, buy an expensive bottle of champagne, or treat yourself to a new dress.
6. You can sleep in and do whatever you want while staying in the comfort of your own home.
7. You can make out with anyone you want at the holiday party.
8. You can decorate your house however you want—wreaths, garlands, disco balls, and all (or none).
9. Lots of single people are out and ready to mingle, so why not take advantage of the celebratory mood in the air? Mingle with other singles at the holiday parties you’ll be attending!
10. You can drink too much eggnog, sing Mariah Carey’s “All I Want for Christmas Is You” at the top of your lungs, and pass out in your party dress. The next morning, there will be no one giving you dirty looks for your drunken holiday extravaganza.
11. You get to catch up with your siblings and favorite cousins.
12. You can go on as many holiday-themed dates as you want. December is a great month for dating!
13. You don’t have to worry about introducing your family members to a new significant other.
14. You can watch Love Actually, Die Hard, The Holiday, Little Women, and any other favorite holiday flick whenever you want.
15. You don’t have to spend time and money on sending any couples-themed holiday cards.
16. You can host a spectacular holiday soirée and invite whomever you want.
17. You can forget the whole idea of a New Year’s kiss by suggesting that all your friends eat grapes as the clock strikes midnight like they do in Spain.
18. You can create your own traditions. Take yourself to see The Nutcracker and then go for oysters and champagne afterward.
19. You can listen to the same holiday music on repeat as many times as you want without appeasing someone else’s music preferences.
20. You can go back to your hometown and simply enjoy it rather than having to play host.
21. You don’t have to worry about meeting anyone else’s expectations.