When my mom recently texted me a photo of the ornaments she purchased for my sister and her live-in boyfriend (lovely metallic globes with their initials in glittery letters), I started to wallow in my singledom. Another holiday season spent single, I thought. But before I let my mind snowball out of control, I reminded myself that I’m a 30-something woman who is happy and healthy. So what if I’m spending the holiday season by myself?
As it turns out, I’m not alone. There are plenty of single people who enjoy the holidays because of their freedom, not despite it. So if anyone tries to make me feel bad about it, I have two words for them: Bah humbug! I don’t need a significant other to have the best holidays ever, and neither do you. Here’s how to not only be okay being single during the holidays but how to actually enjoy being single during the holidays, along with 25 reasons as to why it’s actually awesome.
1. You don’t have to split time between someone else’s family and yours. You can do whatever you want from Thanksgiving through New Year’s.
2. You don’t have to worry about impressing a significant other’s family. That second piece of pumpkin pie? Unbutton your pants and eat it!
3. You won’t have to meet anyone’s parents. Or siblings. Or cousins. Or great-grandmothers.
4. You can plan a solo trip. Feel like going to the beach in Uruguay instead of celebrating the holidays at home? You can do it!
5. There’s no stressing over what to get your better half (and their mom) as a gift. You can use the money that you saved from not having to buy them a gift to do something fabulous for yourself. Book a blowout, buy an expensive bottle of champagne, or treat yourself to a new dress.
6. You can sleep in and do whatever you want while staying in the comfort of your own home.
7. You can make out with whoever you want at the holiday party (within reason).
8. You can decorate your house however you want—wreaths, garlands, disco balls, and all (or none).
9. Lots of single people are out and ready to mingle, so why not take advantage of the celebratory mood in the air? Mingle with other singles at the holiday parties you’ll be attending!
10. You can drink too much eggnog, sing Mariah Carey’s “All I Want for Christmas Is You” at the top of your lungs, and pass out in your party dress. The next morning, there will be no one giving you dirty looks for your drunken holiday extravaganza.
11. You get to catch up with your siblings and favorite cousins.
12. If you happen to get stuck under the mistletoe with someone, you can go in for a kiss.
13. You can go on as many holiday-themed Tinder dates as you want. December is a great month for dating!
14. You don’t have to worry about introducing your weird family members to a new significant other.
15. You can watch Love Actually, Die Hard, The Holiday, Little Women, and any other favorite Christmas flick whenever you want.
16. You don’t have to waste time and money on sending a cheesy couple’s Christmas card.
17. You can host a spectacular holiday soirée, invite whoever you want, drink and eat whatever you want, and listen to whatever you want.
18. You can forget the whole idea of a New Year’s kiss by making all your friends eat grapes as the clock strikes midnight like they do in Spain. Trust me—it will be fun.
19. You can create your own traditions. Take yourself to see The Nutcracker and then go for oysters and champagne afterward.
20. You won’t have to split time between your household and theirs.
21. You can listen to the same holiday music on repeat as many times as you want without appeasing someone else’s music preferences.
22. You can swipe right and left as much as your index finger allows.
23. You can go back to your hometown and simply enjoy it rather having to play host.
24. You don’t have to worry about meeting anyone else’s expectations.
25. The only person who you have to make happy is yourself!
And now, start planning the ultimate singles soirée with the items below:
This story was originally published on December 20, 2016, and has since been updated.