It's February, and that means you're greeted with red hearts, pink flowers, and sweet nothings like "be mine" written in elegant script everywhere you look. Although some people see Valentine's Day as an annoying and unnecessary commercial celebration, I'm a sucker for any and every holiday, and I am looking forward to sending handwritten cards and eating chocolate kisses. If you're thinking, she must like Valentine's Day because she's in a happy and healthy relationship, think again.
While couples massages aren't in my near future, I plan on having a ball on February 14. Just because you don't have a significant other to cuddle up next to doesn't mean you can't commemorate a holiday that honors love. Not sure what to do? Here are 30 awesome things to do when you're single on Valentine's Day—no S.O. required.
1. Make plans. Seriously, if you don't make plans to do something—anything listed here!—you'll end up home alone. Which could lead you to wallow in loneliness, crying, or eating way too much ice cream. Avoid this scenario and make plans already.
2. Host a singles-only dinner party. Invite all your favorite single people and toast to your independence.
3. Make chocolate-dipped shortbread hearts. Decorate with pink and purple sprinkles, place in clear cellophane bags tied with pretty velvet ribbon, and gift them to your single friends.
4. Plan a Valentine's Day "crafternoon." Set out paper, cardstock, stamps, ink, and heart-shaped stickers. Ask your most creative friends to join you and make Valentine's Day cards.
5. Treat yourself to a haircut, blowout, beauty treatment, or massage.
6. Get out of town. Plan a Valentine's Day weekend getaway with a friend or family member.
7. Cook a romantic dinner for your parents. Set the table, light candles, and open a good bottle of sparkling wine.
8. Take yourself out to eat at your favorite restaurant. Sit at the bar and splurge on dessert.
9. Sign up for a boutique workout like Barry's Bootcamp or SoulCycle. After reaping the emotional benefits of exercise, indulge in a smoothie.
10. Bake a chocolate layer cake. Choose a recipe that's a little more advanced and be proud of yourself when you nail it.
11. Drink Champagne. Order two glasses!
12. Do a chocolate taste test. Get a bunch of different flavors of chocolate and have some friends over to help you eat them. Make notes of how each one tastes.
13. Wear something festive and feel the love.
14. Stay in and pamper yourself. Take a long bath, give yourself a face mask, or paint your nails.
15. Book a couples massage with your best friend or a family member.
16. Send a heartfelt text to all the people you love in your life. Especially the old friend who lives far away.
17. Have a Sex and the City marathon. Order pizza from your favorite pizza place, shake up a cosmopolitan, and binge-watch the show that celebrates single women everywhere.
18. Go to your favorite bar, have your go-to cocktail, and head to the local karaoke dive. Belt out all the classic love songs with your best buddies.
19. Plan a date with your best friend. Get dressed up, go to a fancy restaurant, and order the special Valentine's Day menu with wine pairings.
20. Do something nice for someone who is older than you. Send them a bouquet of roses and tell them how much you look up to them.
21. Explore a new neighborhood. Head to an area of town that you aren't too familiar with. Walk up and down the streets, enjoy a cappuccino at the hip cafe, and browse the racks of a stylish boutique.
22. Watch your favorite sporting event with a group of friends.
23. Catch up on your sleep. Sleep in. Or take a nap in the middle of the day.
24. Stay off of social media. Facebook-stalking your ex to see how they're celebrating with their new S.O. is not going to make you feel happy or confident.
25. Have nieces or nephews? Offer to take care of them so their parents can go out. Be the cool aunt: Order pizza, watch Frozen, and make brownie sundaes.
26. Head to Trader Joe's and buy several bunches of flowers. Bring them home and channel your inner florist. Make beautiful bouquets. Use them to decorate your house or deliver them to the people you love.
27. Go to a comedy show. Or stream one of the latest comedy specials on Netflix.
28. Hang out with your grandparents. They love you just the way you are.
29. Splurge on a nice piece of jewelry. You're worth it.
30. Love yourself. Do whatever makes you happy! Cut yourself some slack. Remind yourself that you are lovable and worthy of love.
This article was originally published on February 4, 2016, and has since been updated.