Waking up at five in the morning certainly has its perks; there's a sense that you've claimed your own corner of the universe while the rest of the world is still fast asleep. Solitude aside, you can actually take care of yourself for what will probably be the first and only moment of the day; it's a brief respite from the scheduled chaos of the real world.
Unsurprisingly, many of our nation's most successful people understand the importance of this me time. People like Oprah, Howard Schultz, Tim Cook, Jessica Alba, Martha Stewart, Dan Dorsey, Indra Nooyi, Ariana Huffington, and more all wake up early to take advantage of the morning before formally starting their workday. While this means different things to different people, CNBC recently extracted a few commonalities between these successful morning rituals.
Below, read up on what many successful people tend to accomplish before the clock strikes 8 a.m.:
- They drink lemon water. This tip is touted by the likes of Gwyneth Paltrow, Miranda Kerr, and Ariana Huffington. Drinking it first thing in the morning spikes your energy levels and detoxes your system.
- They exercise. The health benefits are never ending: Exercising clears your mind, sharpens your focus, and even improves your self-control.
- They unplug from technology. Knowing that the rest of their day will involve staring at a screen, many make a point of turning off their smartphones for a few hours.
- They eat a healthy breakfast. No on-the-go breakfast sandwiches here; eating a balanced breakfast gives you energy and helps you concentrate throughout the day.
- They make a do-to list. When you plan out your day as carefully as possible and set out to tackle the biggest task first, your chances of success skyrocket.
Perfect Your Morning Routine
For more, read up on the meticulous morning routines of 10 successful women.