According to myriad books, films, songs, and musicals, summer is the season of love. Longer days, warmer weather, and seemingly fewer responsibilities somehow turn this season into the most romantic time of the year. But what would a summer fling be without the perfect dates to bring you and your S.O. closer together?
With so many fun, adventurous, and outdoor activities to take part in during the summer, there should be no shortage of date ideas. If you're just getting to know each other, keep it simple with a picnic in the park, and if things are heating up, spend a weekend away together far from your usual haunts. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what you do, as long as you do it together. However, if you're all out of summer date ideas, be inspired by this list of 31 romantic, silly, and downright cheesy things to with your partner.
1. Grab dinner or drinks at a rooftop bar. There's nothing more romantic than the ambiance of city lights as the sun goes down.
2. Seek out music in the park and bring your own spread of food and drinks.
3. Go to a matinée showing of a movie you've both been dying to see. There's something about seeing a film during that day that will make you feel like a kid again.
4. Head to a museum and explore the newest exhibit together.
5. Pick out a challenging recipe and figure out how to make it together.
6. Put on a swimsuit and head to the beach for the day if you live on the coast. There's nothing more romantic than having your own if you're a bird, I'm a bird moment in the surf.
7. Pick a movie franchise that you love or that you've never seen before and have a movie marathon together. Think Jurassic Park, Back to the Future, Star Wars, or Harry Potter.
8. Take a walk through a neighborhood or town that you don't normally explore. You never know what hidden gems you might find.
9. Go wine tasting. Make a trip out of it and head to a vineyard for a mini vacation or seek out a local tasting room.
10. Go for a drive. Whether you turn it into a full-blown road trip is up to you.
11. Watch the sunset. Head to the beach, the roof of your apartment, or any scenic outlook and just look together.
12. Host a party together. Summer is the season of barbeques and pool parties after all. It's a fun way to spend time together in a group setting and allows your friends to get to know each other.
13. Go full-on Patrick Swayze and Demi Moore and take a ceramics class together.
14. Go out to a lavish brunch and enjoy delicious food and maybe a mimosa or two.
15. Get all dressed up and go out to a nice restaurant for dinner—the kind you have to make a reservation for at least a week in advance to get a table.
16. Spend the day shopping together but make sure to find places that peak both of your interests, whether that means heading to the flea market, antique markets, or high-end stores.
17. Spend a morning at the farmer's market. You can pick out fresh ingredients to cook with together.
18. Get outdoors and go for a hike through the forest or the mountains.
19. Go bowling. It's a classic pastime and nowadays you can find some seriously cool alleys with everything from vintage décor to strong cocktails.
20. Plan a night in. Play your favorite music, eat dinner, drink wine, and just be together.
21. Spend a day poolside. Loung by the water, work on your tan, and enjoy each other's company outside.
22. Treat yourself to couples' spa treatments. Enjoy massages side by side and spend the whole day in fluffy robes sipping on cucumber water.
23. Go to a concert. Summer is one of the best times to see musical performances. There's always someone coming through town on tour.
24. See a play. Whether it's local theater or Broadway, a taste of live performance is always fun.
25. Plan an elaborate picnic with all the necessities. Head to the park and enjoy small bites and sunshine in the cool grass.
26. Go to a wedding. Summer is wedding season, too, after all. If you or your S.O. gets an invite, take advantage of a plus one and celebrate love together.
27. Take a bike ride together. If you really want to commit, rent tandem bikes so you'll never be far from one another.
28. Plan a proper getaway for just the two of you. Jet off to another city (or country) and enjoy some much deserved time away from the real world.
29. Take an outdoor fitness class together. Seek out a group yoga, cardio, or kickboxing class that you can both enjoy outside.
30. Spend a day on the water. Rent a paddle boat and take it out on the lake or find a friend with a yacht and have your own Kate and Leo moment.
31. Take a cooking class together. There's nothing like rolling up your sleeves and learning from the pros.
Consider these summer date ideas your new bucket list and enjoy the season of love.