When the sun sets and you're ready to call it a day, how do you feel? Excited and finally ready to wake up? Or are you a sun worshiper who likes to rise early and tuck yourself in before 8 p.m.? Most of us fall somewhere in the middle, and if you've been busy at work all day or out exploring, then you may find yourself without plans when nighttime rolls around. To help you make the most of your evening, we created a comprehensive list of things to do at night based on your mood.
Whether you're afraid of the dark and rise early or you come alive after the sun sets, we made sure to include activities for those who simply want to be productive and cross things off their to-do list as well as anyone looking for a good time. So start planning and gett excited for the night ahead.
A Big Night Out
- Rally up your friends and plan a night of bar hopping. To make things a little more interesting, consider picking a lineup of funky dive bars or retro speakeasies. Or, a rooftop is also always a great option.
- Try out comedy clubs, local theater shows, and immersive theater companies. Or, opt for something a little more formal, like going to the opera, ballet, or symphony. It's a fun excuse to get all dressed up.
- Switch up your go-to date night activities, whether that means finding a potential first date on a dating app or treating your long-term partner. Turn this evening into a romantic one.
- Get tickets to see a concert. Whether you go alone, with some friends, or with a significant other is up to you. Even if you don't know the artist, you could end up having a great time listening to live music and dancing.
- Convince one of your friends to host a house party or volunteer your own digs if you're up for it. If this sounds a little too ambitious, offer to host a small cocktail or dinner party with just a few friends, and then head out afterward.
- Research local happenings, events, and offbeat venues, and plan a cultural excursion to the ones that catch your eye. Look into gallery openings, karaoke bars, dance halls, roller rinks, bowling alleys, and escape rooms.
A Fun Friends' Night
- Go for a night walk, hike, or workout class at a gym that's open late. If you have a lot of energy to blow but don't feel like partying, this is a great alternative.
- Invite all your friends over for a wine and cheese night. Get to know each other better by asking these 30 questions once the wine is-a-flowing and the cheese is-a-coming.
- Plan a slumber party with all the nostalgic favorites we remember from childhood. It's time to whip out the facemasks and play a round of M.A.S.H.
- Make family game night fun again by ordering in your favorite meal and then playing some interesting card games with your loved ones.
- Sign up for an evening cooking class or see if there are any private cooking teachers who can come give you an in-home lesson.
- Invite some friends over and learn how to read each other's palms and tarot cards. Then tell each other's fortunes.
Quiet Night In
- Get that book you've been dying to read and then curl up with it in bed. Who says you need to do anything else tonight?
- Make yourself a homecooked meal and then enjoy it in front of the TV or with a good book in hand. It's the perfect opportunity to try a new recipe.
- Take a long drive through town or go for a walk in the city and grab a drink at an outdoor café for some people watching.
- Break out the mop. This may not sound like the most exciting evening plan, but if it's the middle of the workweek and you've been too busy to catch up on tedious housekeeping items like paying your bills, doing laundry, and mopping the floors, dedicate tonight to checking them off your to-do-list.
- Spend the entire evening pampering yourself. We're talking face masks, bubble baths, and manicures. Then tuck yourself in early for a good lounge session in your favorite pair of pajamas.
- Have a solo viewing party of all your favorite childhood movies and shows (or some of them at least, since they probably can't all be squeezed into one evening).